< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-19-2004 00:26

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hello TNT Basic community,

Thought it was about time I check how TB was getting on seeing as I've neglected it for several months now. Unfortunately I've been ridiculously busy with work, that may sound like a but of a lame excuse but it's valid - honest!

Anyway, I'm back now, and am just about able to bear looking at a computer in my free time again.

First of all I'd like to thank all of you who've kept the forum going, especially those that have taken the time to answer others' questions. I'm really pleased with the way the forums have turned out - they've got a life of their own now without me having to baby sit them 24/7, which is fantastic. Everyone of you on the forums have helped create this and you should all give yourselves a slap on the back. (I'm sure matteo will be the first to make some comical post regarding that comment... ;)

Secondly, I should apologise for making you all put up with TNT Basic 1.2's bugs for so long. The main bug for me is that flickering graphics that happens if you draw text on Mac OS 10.3 upwards. It's really annoying and it's basically cos Apple have essentially broken something that TB relies on and have pretty much said that it's not going to be fixed cos because that way of doing things is to be 'discouraged'. Essentially I'll have to workaround it and that requires a big rewrite of TB's graphics code and to be quite honest the solution isn't obvious. I've got a couple of things to try but I'm a bit stumped really. Hopefully I'll find something now that I've had a bit of a TB break for a bit.

All your bug reports from the forums incidentally do get logged, they will all get fixed eventually. If you get any strange error messages that you believe is a bug in TB then please post the code that causes them as it gives me a test case to test my fix against. Most of you do this already, but it's just a reminder.

Third and finally, the next version of TNT Basic. I've got some time off work coming up and I intend to try and get rid of that flicker graphics bug and then get a new version out. There's no time estimate on that, and I do have a couple of other things putting demands on my free time such as going on holiday and buying a new house, but I'll try my best!

Anyway, I'll try and check in more often from now on,

Cheers,

Mark

07-19-2004 07:16

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Ooooh!

good to have you back!

Hehe I don't care about the flickering text since I make my text a sprite then sprite it ;-P Maybe you could try the same?

*hysterically swings arms trying to slap his own back*

07-19-2004 07:50

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Good to have you back.

The flickering can be avoided through the use of a viewport until you get that fixed.

07-19-2004 17:47

Posted by:
JW

Click Here to Email JW   Find more posts by JW

Welcome back Mark. Great to hear from you again.

About the flickering graphics.. I never have any problems. If it is
about draw text.. i'm making sprites of my text, that works great.
So first i'm writing text and copy it into an image bank. Now i can make
a sprite out of it.. I'm not sure if this info is of help for someone..

JW

07-19-2004 18:15

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

i have serious problems with viewports and flickery drawing commands as it seems to almost cut the frame rate in half.

cheers
charlie

ps

does this mean i can regester now?

07-20-2004 00:25

Posted by:
Mark Tully

I take it the flickering only happens using software graphics mode under mac os 10.3 upwards? If so it's the same thing as the text bug, you're probably triggering the bug by drawing text or doing some other drawing command like line, rectangles, ovals etc. If it's happening in hardware graphics mode or under os 9 then it's a separate bug and I'll need some more info. It won't happen if you only use sprites and viewports.

As for registering, register whenever you feel so inclined!

Cheers,

Mark

07-20-2004 16:38

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

it happens in hardware mode in 10.3 too

cheers
charlie

07-26-2004 18:53

Posted by:
Mark Tully

I was unaware it happened in hardware mode too, can you post a small example of this happening?

Cheers,

Mark

07-26-2004 18:54

Posted by:
Mark Tully

....Oh and can you post that in the bugs forum rather than on this thread. Ta.

Mark

08-30-2004 18:47

Posted by:
JW

Click Here to Email JW   Find more posts by JW

I was wondering... can we expect an update of tntbasic this year?
Perhaps Mark would like to tell us about the progress of tntbasic.
It is still a very stronge language ! Please tell us if there is any news >

JW

08-30-2004 20:18

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Heeeeeeere's Tully!

Yeah, so, nice to have you back in the land of the living. I haven't had a problem with the flicker of text, but I do have problems with the viewing of ports in hardware mode, since we seem to be in the habit of welcoming you back with complaints... Aren't we ungreatful?

I tried to register, but never got a code :-(