Dilemma
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-02-2004 06:04

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Ok, I'm faced with a decision here. My gravity game ran at about 45 fps. But when I was testing it out, I found that sometimes the game's physics were off. I was able to get a shot to orbit around a point source of gravity and end up faster at a place of higher potential energy; that is, the particle magically gained energy. I realized it was due to the way my game calculated the particle's path: it just checked every time it moved the particle and drew the frame. So I made the game do more calculations in between drawing frames so the physics would be more accurate, but it slows my game down.

Soo...my question...are people more interested in faster, smoother gameplay or gameplay that obeys the laws of physics? How about on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "mario can fly if he wants, as long as it looks good" and 10 being "well, actually, you shouldn't be able to see black holes." I'm more of a 7 myself, but maybe it's just me.

07-02-2004 13:10

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

hmm... I understand your problem: applying gravity twice each frame is different than applying it once with double strength, since the object moves...

I think since it goes fast 45 fps (therefore objects do not travel much each frame), you can just keep it as it is I guess...

07-02-2004 18:44

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

it depends on your game.

does the lower framerate make it less playable?

does the less realistic physics make it less fun?

in general i'd say a 4.

07-02-2004 18:45

Posted by:
eekaydee

Right. Anyone else? Scale of 1 to 10?

07-02-2004 18:48

Posted by:
eekaydee

Puffin,
1) A little
2) No, but it might distract players if they know too much about physics >:)

07-02-2004 19:30

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

I'm about a 3. Games are supposed to be fun. Sure, if you can throw a physics degree into the credits it's nice, but i'd rather you used those precious fps for making an extra layer to the AI or a graphics boost. 30fps makes for a good and playable action game.

07-03-2004 01:38

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

true, but on the other hand good physics can make an otherwise ho-hum game very fun to play. take as an example the wonderful N

so like i said, it depends on the game.

07-03-2004 09:01

Posted by:
eekaydee

Wow that was a pretty fun game.

Yeah, my game is somewhat based around its physics, but I still want it smooth enough so as to not be distracting.

07-03-2004 11:39

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

the difference between 45 and 30 FPS is quite noticeable.

07-07-2004 11:28

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

Frame Rates

Most people wont' noice a difference between 30 and 45 FPS...

Television, for reference, is about 30 FPS
Movies are about 24.

Most people can only process about 20 -25 FPS.

I find most games with 40+ FPS to be "jumpy" for my firends (even tho I can handle it...)

And since you are not directly blitting the pixels, you don't need to match the machine framerate... whic may be the issue...

If your screen frame-rate is an odd-ammount in relation to your screen refresh, it can make it seem jumpy, but only iff you have better than normal perception.

07-07-2004 17:03

Posted by:
eekaydee

Oh wow, I had no idea. As it is now, the jump from 45 to about 30 makes a big difference in appearance.

Maybe I could build two apps to show the difference.