super charged
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

03-28-2004 16:39

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

how about making hardware mode go at a speed that is decent enough to make proper games in.
ive done a lot of stuff in hardware mode for testing ideas for a game only to find that it is so slow that i cant use it unless i scrap half of my ideas
it would be great to see this running much faster

oh yeah, how far away is the next release?

cheers
charlie

03-28-2004 19:55

Posted by:
JW

Click Here to Email JW   Find more posts by JW

Same thing for me. That's why i use normal graphic mode.. It is reliable, good
and descent.. I never have speed problems on my computer..
But i need a lot of graphics because rotating isn't possible in hardware mode, same thing with scaling.

I do like graphic hardware mode, i also have done some great tests.. It works very well, but indeed it is too slow for my taste

Well Mark... can you tell us something about what we can expect...
Tnt basic is still amazing and a very good product... Keep on working Mark !

JW

03-29-2004 15:36

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

I am forever wishing Tully will say that the next release will be driven by a new compiler/assembler engine that runs at speeds comparable to c++. I could really use something like that, seeing as C and it's ilk is completely incomprehensible to me.

03-29-2004 16:19

Posted by:
charlie

i can just about understand some C, but if i had to use it i wouldnt knw where to start

i would really love to see things sped up some though, then i could have all the special effects i programmed in my game instead of just some.

oh yeah, lets hope that the flickery drawing issue is resolved too, i miss it

cheers
charlie

03-29-2004 16:21

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

I heard some rumors that the new TNT will be faster than assembler...

Seriously talking I really appreciate TNT because it makes you enjoy programming from the first minute you start using it. I also loved the "game in 60" and the enviroment is so friendly. I think Mark should write a book for us: "game programming: from basic to C++", it would be great ;-)

In any case, although for some things it's very far from what project builder can do (see especially the draw commands) it can do pretty cool stuff... I'll show you a version of radical rebound with dynamic zoom-dezoom effects and "real" parallax scrolling that is quite impressive. Pity it's not so much playable and quite nauseating to watch ;-)

Cheers Man!

03-29-2004 19:11

Posted by:
charlie

im not knocking tnt as such

ive learned that some things i used for programming simple databases and record programs can be used in games to a great effect, and some of the functions built in are brilliant for any type of game.

its just a few niggling aspects that are proving irritating, the lack of speed in hardware mode and the flickery drawing commands are becoming detremantal to the progress of my game.

for example, running my game in software mode gives me around 40 fps, where as hardware mode gives me 20, and im only using sprite rotation.

i know hardware mode uses better colour stuff than software, but the drop in speed is pretty big. and ive started to use sprites for things like starfields and other simple stuff because the flickering is so bad, i hope mark can find a way around this problem.

cheers
charlie

03-29-2004 19:22

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Flickering? You mean when you run your game in OS 10.3 right? Just set the TNT Basic application to run in classic, open it, and then run your source code; the flickering isn't a problem in classic.

03-29-2004 19:59

Posted by:
charlie

my piont is, why should i?

suely i should be able to run whatever osx native program and expect it to behave properly. also i ditched 0s9 6 months ago, when all the programs i use got made osx native.

i think im beggining to sound ungrateful

cheers
charlie

03-29-2004 20:36

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that it needs to be fixed. I was just proposing a workaround so you don't have to change your game (like your starfield) until they fix it.

03-29-2004 22:45

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

The point is, if you want TNT as fast as C++, why not learn C++ then? It's note xpensive anymore, it comes with every mac you buy ( among with C and Java in XCode, the fantastic programming app )

03-30-2004 20:08

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Because my poor brain can't cope with it. TNT is much nicer to understand. Plus, it is an integrated environment, and so I don't have to write fifty lines for controlling sprites when I could use one.

03-31-2004 09:47

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

I admit that I know nothing on coding in C++, but I can't see how I can run a game with realtime bump mapping, dynamic lighting, calculate 3d scenes and characters, at over 100 FPS with a screen res of 1280x854, and 32 bit textures, and tntbasic can't run parrallax scrolling, with a screen res of 800x600 at a solid 30 FPS minimum.

Tntbasic is a great app. And I'm planning on using it to create quite a few games, but my biggest limitation isn't even the speed. It's that 16MB size limit that's halted 2 games already.

Besides that - Keep up the great work! :)

03-31-2004 16:52

Posted by:
charlie

i think the problem most of us have is that although tnt is a great language, its just not quick enough for what we want.

cheers
charlie