Question about importing files
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

03-18-2004 16:00

Posted by:
JW

Click Here to Email JW   Find more posts by JW

Is it possible to load music files for a game after the game has loaded.
There is a 16 Mb limit, and with music it's not difficult to reach this limit. Without music... 16 Mb is enough.
I want to make a "my game" folder into the application folder,
the game is loaded inside "my game folder", the music files also.. can i put my music files there and let the game load it into memory after the game is running ..?

If i include the music in hieroglyph and 'build' the project it will shortly become too large..

Same thing with levels. If i finish the game... is it possible to make a new level and load it into the game afterwards....?

JW

03-18-2004 18:46

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

i've never tried what your talking about, but i have loaded music inside a game loop before, and it isn't pretty. the music plays sometimes, but it just comes out like clicks.

03-19-2004 00:12

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Don't think so

Sorry, but I don't think it's possible at this point to load external music files.

03-19-2004 08:37

Posted by:
kemalyun

Find more posts by kemalyun

I also don't think it's possible. But you could think about those things:

- How long is a level (playtime)? The music doesn't have to be longer than that, it can even be shorter.

- Try different bitrates for the mp3-compression to make it shorter.

For the levels:

Instead of using full drawn pictures, use maps. Try to break up your pictures in map-tiles, that should work and you should be able to save a lot.

Or, if nothing else helps: Maybe you can change the resolution from 800x600 to 640x480 (if it's 800x600 now), that'll also save space. Since it's an arcade-shooter it shouldn't be that bad with 640x480.

Best solution of course would be when that 16mb limit would be removed. Mark, help!

03-19-2004 13:42

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Well, I guess the best thing is to not let it stop you. You could just continue to make the game without the music files, and just put the music in if Tully ever gets to increasing the size limit. If you finish the game and still you can't put the music in, just start another project or something.

03-19-2004 21:06

Posted by:
JW

Click Here to Email JW   Find more posts by JW

I make my music files with garageband, export to itunes and then turn it into mp3. At last import the mp3 into tnt, it works great.
There is a possibility to set the mp3 quality lower, this helps and still gets a good result.

JW

03-19-2004 22:34

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

i don't know what type of game your making, but if it has different types of levels you could make a music track for each type of level rather then each level.

03-20-2004 14:25

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Or use MODs.