tnt competition - interested?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-09-2004 20:16

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

I just sent an email to the tnt-guys suggesting monthly or bi-weekly competitions. With topics like platformer, pseudo 3d, artistic, network games, top-down, space, and such.

I think it'd be beneficial to tnt users (more source codes to learn from) and to tnt in general.

If you're interested let the tnt-guys know and they might do something about it. :)

02-10-2004 04:53

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

sounds like a good idea.

02-10-2004 05:27

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Cool.

They should be really small games. Little short things, that aren't too demanding.
I like the idea of themes.

02-10-2004 08:30

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

great idea

02-10-2004 16:22

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

my skills will humiliate you all

not really of course, its the power of wishful thinking

count me in though

cheers
charlie

02-10-2004 17:16

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Remember that only a very few people are capable of producing a working game once every fortnight! Two or three months would be more realistic.

Still, a decent idea is a decent idea.

02-10-2004 18:51

Posted by:
puffin

i think someone could make a game in a month so long as they don't get too ambitious and strip the game down to only the necessities. it would probably be better for people to pair up, one person programming one person doing the art and animation maybe.

02-10-2004 20:50

Posted by:
denis caspar

Click Here to Email denis caspar   Find more posts by denis caspar

A very good idea. You let the door open to other kind of programms, not only games. I love the idea! Bravo

02-10-2004 21:19

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

quote:
Remember that only a very few people are capable of producing a working game once every fortnight! Two or three months would be more realistic.

With one month to work on it, you are likely to have many variants of Pong and Tetris.

02-10-2004 21:47

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

It can vary depending on the type of compo... Or there could be a one month compo announce the same time as a 2 or 3 month on would... That way there'll eventually be something to come back for every month or so.

02-10-2004 22:16

Posted by:
matteo

wow, this is one of the most succesful topics I've seen here...

I think it would be cool to have different kind of contests, time limitations and other limitations:

Say a "24 hour contest"

and a "500 lines contest"

would be appreciated by me, since I don't have much time nowadays.

Of course also serious contests such as 2-3 months are welcome, although less in the spirit of TNT, I think.

02-10-2004 22:55

Posted by:
puffin

yeah, a good range of contests would be important.

but let's get serious now, what should the first contest be? let's get this shit goin'! i'll throw a vote in for a shmup contest to start things off.

02-10-2004 23:10

Posted by:
matteo

TWO WEEKS!!

2-3 weeks is ok for me ;-) (two week ends for me)

as for the arguement I'd say: "anything, but must be original"

I think originality is a hard thing in games: when you do something new you never know if it will be fun. probably it will not be more than a solid concept (say a shoot'em up or arkanoid). However I think it is very important to give an originality bias to the contest, give weight to good ideas, not so much to a perfect realization of an old concept:

INVENT A NEW GENDER!

maybe you'll do a crappy game, but someone after you will improve on it, then somebody else, then it will become a true "gender" and you will be remembered in history as the first try in that direction...

02-10-2004 23:51

Posted by:
eekaydee

quote:
INVENT A NEW GENDER!

Erm...are you sure "gender" is the word you're looking for?
Maybe genre?

Anyway, I like the team idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to set up.

02-11-2004 00:54

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

quote:

quote:
quote:
INVENT A NEW GENDER!

Erm...are you sure "gender" is the word you're looking for?
Maybe genre?

Anyway, I like the team idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to set up.

There goes my Transexual Tennis entry. :(

02-11-2004 01:02

Posted by:
puffin

"Anyway, I like the team idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to set up."

you could have a place where someone posts a game idea and the job they want to do on that project, let's say programming. then if an artist is interested in the idea they could post a reply.

02-11-2004 02:12

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

Yeah, this all sounds like a good idea. Especially the team thing since my graphics all look like they're cave drawings from the stone age...

It would also give new programmers who are good at computer art a chance to interact with some more experienced programmers.

I could also create a simple list forum if we ever need one.

02-11-2004 11:48

Posted by:
matteo

> There goes my Transexual Tennis entry. :(

wah...

I guess I lost any credibility I had ;-)

the warriors are awaiting for the contest, while queen's "we will rock you" starts (du du chah...) they move towards the center of the ground, adjusting ther armour, royating their maces, polishing their katanas... the royal rumble is going to start, not many will survive the fight but the chance of finally standing as winner is way more important than their lives...

LET THE MASSACRE BEGIN!

02-15-2004 19:27

Posted by:
eric

Click Here to Email eric   Find more posts by eric

Not to offend anyone, but how about trying to master the tntbasic language first. Maybe working on a specific part of tnt say like "different ways to take full avantage of maps"
Proper planning for any game sure will take longer that a week....remember, 90% planning, 10% typing.
Cheer and good luck

02-15-2004 19:51

Posted by:
puffin

seems to me the best way to practice making games is to make games. otherwise you end up mastering the essential skills required to make a game while neglecting to make a game. you follow me? sacrificing the whole for all its parts.

for example, i used to play classical guitar. i practiced my finger picking, my scales, and my chord progressions a lot. if you heard me practicing you might think i was a virtuoso. but i could only play 2 and a half songs. i spent so much time practicing technique that i never really got around to developing a good repertoire.

02-15-2004 20:23

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Not entirely - you've got to walk before you can run. I am on the other end, I have a great steaming heap of ideas for games but because of my astonishingly inept programming skills I usually end up either trashing them, which is upsetting, or starting again, which is boring.

The place to put examples of groovy code is in the directory; it is not really in the spirit of the thing to have a competition for "Best Example". Really, all the code should be annotated and made nice so people can see what an actual game looked like.

02-16-2004 00:40

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I haven,t read all the posts so forgive me if my post is out of context ;)

I'd prefer long contests to short ones cause short contests would generate tons of low-quality games as long contests would make some really great games...

that's my opinino!

02-16-2004 02:27

Posted by:
puffin

quote:
Not entirely - you've got to walk before you can run. I am on the other end, I have a great steaming heap of ideas for games but because of my astonishingly inept programming skills I usually end up either trashing them, which is upsetting, or starting again, which is boring.

i understand that view too. in fact, i'm in a similar sort of bind when it comes to my math skills.

but now lets change the situation and pretend that i've got crazy math skills. am i now a great game designer? no. in fact i'd say that i still have a long way to go - and a lot of games to make - before i'm a great game designer.

02-16-2004 03:08

Posted by:
eekaydee

quote:
a specific part of tnt say like "different ways to take full avantage of maps"

But where would you start for this? Asking yourself, "what's the most unthinkable usage for a map?"? Sure, it might be interesting to know that it's possible to make a platformer engine using map tiles with size 1x1 and treating them as pixels settable by "set map tile," but I'd much rather have someone use their hard work to make a game that's actually fun.

02-16-2004 17:53

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

ive done something pretty interesting with maps, ill post it when it resembles a game more than something that scrolls fast.

just as a clue though, its for two players

cheers
charlie

02-17-2004 06:18

Posted by:
puffin

why would you do it to me!? now i have to know what it is!!!

02-17-2004 18:38

Posted by:
eric

Click Here to Email eric   Find more posts by eric

All I am saying is that you will end up with some bad code hard to debug. Or worse, you will end up trying to re-invent the wheel, do yo follow me?

02-17-2004 23:41

Posted by:
eekaydee

Yes, I don't like to reinvent the wheel, as I find it inefficient and wasteful of time.
However, I also like to know that my code is my own and I made it myself; that it is purely my own accomplishment.

About making the competitions based on learning the TNT language-I agree with you. I just don't agree with making the theme of a contest an area of the TNT language. I think rather the entries could be graded in different categories, one of them being creativity with say, maps.