File Menu
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-30-2004 12:54

Posted by:
denis caspar

Click Here to Email denis caspar   Find more posts by denis caspar

Why dont you use a classical "SAVE, SAVE AS" structure in the file menu?
Denis

01-31-2004 03:47

Posted by:
Miles

Click Here to Email Miles   Find more posts by Miles

I quite agree. Heiroglyph's method of saving files can be awkward at times. A Save as option would be handy for making a new version of a code, instead of manually duplicating it in the finder, which I seem to do quite a bit.

02-08-2004 19:37

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah it's not ideal but it's far too well entrenched to be easily changable. It probably will stay that way for a long time.

Sorry.

Mark

02-09-2004 03:25

Posted by:
denis caspar

My question was "Why dont you use a classical "SAVE, SAVE AS" structure...." and not "i need another save structure". Is there a specific reason or unrevealed benefit to use this structure.
Salut

02-20-2004 23:32

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

It's like that because it uses the Mac resource file format to store TNT project files. All the library commands from Apple that work with resource files, such as 'add new resource' or 'delete resource' or 'rename resource' all take affect immediately. No 'Save' type command. So Hieroglyph's internals would either have to be very complicated to buffer up all your changes then execute the relavant commands when you say 'save', or duplicate your file to a hidden copy and work on that and copy over your original when you say save.

When I was first writing Hieroglyph (a good 7 years ago) it was easier just to do away with the 'save' command, which is the same approach as ResEdit and Resorcerer took.

One day it might change, but it was one of those decisions that's hard to reverse afterwards... If I did it again it would be very different!

Sorry!

Mark

02-25-2004 17:05

Posted by:
denis caspar

Thanks Mark for the answer.
I understand that is REALLY complicated to change this structure, but be sure we can live with the actual save system!
Denis

02-25-2004 22:24

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Actually, I don't really think it's that important to have a save as structure. Like I often say, there are other things that take higher priority.