Maximum number of tiles in a Map?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-15-2003 23:44

Posted by:
buddy

Click Here to Email buddy   Find more posts by buddy

I have a PICT file to use as a source image for tiles for my map.
There are 4096 different tiles (64 wide by 64 tall) in this source image.

When I tell Genesis this, everything seems fine, but the window where you select your tiles from is all wrapped around and such.

It would be great if the tile selection window could just open the PICT file as is -- i.e. in this case it would keep the image 1024 pixels wide by 1024 pixels tall, even though I'd have to use the scrollbars to access the entire image.

Is this a current limitation of Genesis?
Am I trying to use too many tiles?

Thanks,
Buddy

12-17-2003 20:52

Posted by:
Martin

Click Here to Email Martin   Find more posts by Martin

Having gone through some of this before, I've learned a little but not a lot.

You can take a pict file and copy it to the Graphics panel of your Project and then access the pict whole. But you can't take a pict file and copy it whole to Genesis for a map. You can break of up a picture into pieces and create tiles - up to 256 - and presumably make them quite large to cover a vast area.

Martin

12-17-2003 23:22

Posted by:
buddy

Click Here to Email buddy   Find more posts by buddy

1. I was able to pare down my PICT file a bit smaller, but still pretty large.

2. I then loaded it as the source for tiles. Genesis chopped it up into tiles, but did not keep them so that it looked like the original PICT.
(This is important because for some maps I have like 24 tiles that make up a structure, so I need to be able to intelligently access these tiles together to put the structure on the map.)

3. I took the time to make a Map just for my "source". Essentially, I clicked the tiles one at a time from the source image, placing them appropriately in this map. I found then that I can open a map for my actual game level, then copy groups of tiles from the source map and paste them onto the real map.

Yes, this was INCREDIBLY tedious. But I have come WAY too far with this game to give up now...!

Stay tuned for "Repossessed"...