Druid Ranking:
Overall: 11th
Originality: 4th
Sound: 9th
Polish: 14th
Graphics: 12th
Gameplay: 12th

Yay! ^_^

Also, congrats to the author of Mission Volcanor, the other TNT entry. It turned out really well also.

For a full listing of winners, go to iDevGames.com. You can still listen to the awards show if you want at MacRadio.com.

12-12-2003 05:01

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Congratulations Miles! Are you going to continue adding to Druid or start something new?

Oh, and where are the rest of the results to the contest? I can't find them at the idevgames site.

12-12-2003 07:04

Posted by:
Miles

Click Here to Email Miles   Find more posts by Miles

uDevGame 2003 Results (Full)

Ok, here's the top 10 overall:

Argonaut
Chopper
Primate Plunge
Tower of Tears
Lightning's Shadow

Yoink
World to Conquer
Adventures on Pirate Isle
Tank World
Gaichu

All very deserving winners. I especially liked Argonaut, Tower of Tears, Lightning's Shadow, and Yoink.

And winners of individual categories (rather repetitive ^_^ )

Sound: Argonaut
Polish: Argonaut
Graphics: Argonaut
Originality: Yoink
Gameplay: Chopper

For an extended listing, go here.

12-12-2003 07:14

Posted by:
Miles

Yes, I definitely intend to continue the development of Druid. Didn't end up getting much feedback, which I was kinda hoping for (You were one of only three people who emailed me regarding Druid! ^_^ ). Still, I intend to add all the features I didn't get time to include in the basic version I released for the deadline. These include items, weapons, a world map and an open-ended storyline. At the very least I'll try to make Druid a bit more polished.

Now that I have some actual experience with programming, I'm going to re-write Druid from scratch again, which will hopefully make it much faster and stable, and I'll include all those features. Brace yourselves for Druid 1.1! ^_^

01-04-2004 04:55

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

Congrats

Congrats to the devs of Druid and Mission Volcanor!

I used TNT Basic in uDG 2002 for Raptor, winning best sound and music, the one part of the game I had little to do with. TNT is certainly a great launching off point for Macintosh devs. Between then and now I learned Cocoa, OpenGL, and programmed Argonaut, which won in several categories I had much to do with. I can't wait to see what you two are up to in one year. I'm currently adding net play support to Argonaut. This is a formidable task, as well as a giant pain in the arse.

All the best,

Holmes Futrell

01-04-2004 04:56

Posted by:
Holmes

p.s

do indeed listen to the Macradio broadcast, it has interviews with both me and Miles.

http://macradio.com/monday/Gamesome_Mac_2003_08_04.html

01-04-2004 16:12

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Bloody you Holmes, you must be a fu***ng smartass...
The hell, you should be 18 if I don't remember wrong...
Hmm, in about a year you got up to being one of the best mac game programmers, while learning cocoa and opengl. Congrats with all my heart to you man.

Oh, I'm sure you even did that with sufficiency and never spent more than 1 hor per day on your mac...

So what's the point of this post? Well, after all my compliments... Holmes, stop making you fuc**ing games free, you're ruining the market!!!

Adios man

01-04-2004 20:15

Posted by:
Holmes

woah there!

Yeah, I know I should stop making games for free. The next version of Argonaut will be shareware. Part of the reqs for uDG was that it be free though.

I'm 17 turning 18 soon. And I probably spent like 8 hours a day on my mac ... yeah, not healthy. First my skin went pale, then it sort of just peeled off completely from lack of use. The circus offered me a job but I declined.

01-05-2004 00:20

Posted by:
matteo

Hmmm... good determination man.

After my insanity period with radical rebound I have almost quit game programming... for now. (studying too much). I am thinking of a radical rebound trilogy... Radical Rebound Reloaded and Radical Rebound Revolution... You know I'm so lazy I want to reuse all the code I have writen... ;-p I'm playing a bit with some cool effects such as automatic zoom-dezoom and real parallax scrolling, but I guess I should find something better if I want to make a sequel...

I'm sure you'll make money with Argonaut, but after winning uDev, give yourself a few hours of life ;-)

01-05-2004 00:57

Posted by:
Holmes

I try to give myself breaks sometimes, it usually doesn't work. I'm too good at thinking up crazy, time consuming projects.

I've made my first $$$ with Argonaut already since one of the prizes this year was cold hard cash.

The improvements to Radical rebound sound great. Just avoid taking yourself too seriously like the Matrix did. I played version 4.0 the other day, really hilarious dialogue. Great game. How as it fared financially ? (just curious as I enter the shareware bussiness)

01-05-2004 10:02

Posted by:
Miles

> I've made my first $$$ with Argonaut already since one of the prizes this year was cold hard cash.

Huh? You've got prizes already?

I haven't really checked the iDevs forums much since the hack, but I thought Carlos would email the winning devs about prizes...

Have you got you prizes already or is it just that you are certain to win it?

01-05-2004 10:52

Posted by:
matteo

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure you made with the contest much more than I made in 5 months selling... good move. I sold 22 copies at 9.95$ each. 22 angry customers... WAHAHAHAHA 8-)

01-05-2004 20:59

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

Just a question for you Holmes, from a newb programmer.

I based my game Solarionne (still in the works), on the original game Solex.

Did you base Argonaught on Astrax, or was it an original idea?

Just curious,
MapMaker

01-05-2004 22:00

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

He subconsciously based it on Sinistar which he'd played in a previous life. ;)

01-06-2004 22:59

Posted by:
Holmes

The game is heavily based on Asterax.

Miles, I know I'm getting the $$ because Ambrosia emailed me to ask me where to send the check. I was never emailed the list of prizes I got, but a few corporate sponsers have sent me emails like this.

01-06-2004 23:38

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

:D

I LOVE Asterax
Now all you have to do is make it multiplayer and we can count is as Asterax II :)

01-06-2004 23:56

Posted by:
Holmes

You're in luck.

I'm currently working on multiplayer over TCP/IP right now. Unfortunately bandwidth is a big problem right now because the levels are very dynamic with all the asteroids and such. It might be not so fun over the internet, but playable with as many players as you want over a local network.