Highly Annoying Image Importation Bug
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-30-2003 08:15

Posted by:
Miles

Click Here to Email Miles   Find more posts by Miles

There is something really screwy about the way Heiroglyph imports images as PICTs. Very often, images that are imported are then rejected by TNT Basic on runtime; when the program tries to "Load Images" which include the image in question, TNT simply freezes and displays the spinning beachball mouse forever (I waited 20 minutes and it was still supposedly loading the images). 

In the past, I've managed to mostly avoid this through various means of exporting the images before loading them into the file through Heiroglyph, including taking pictures of them, exporting to PNG etc. As a result, the Druid graphics aren't quite as good as they could be; The only way I managed to load the tilesets used by the maps was to export them as PNGs, and this noticably reduced quality.

Now I've reached a point where I can't import any more loadable images into any file with Heiroglyph. I've tried virtually every image format, even copying them in using ResEdit, to no avail.

I'm running Panther, and haven't altered QuickTime (6.4) one bit since system installation. However, this was a problem back when I was using 10.1.

11-30-2003 11:27

Posted by:
Miles

Hmm, in OS 9 the game crashes with a TNT output "Not enough memory to complete the operation", rather than loading forever.

11-30-2003 17:32

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

While I would hate to have you think I was insulting your intelligence, have you tried increasing TNT/heiroglyph's memory allocation?

12-01-2003 07:27

Posted by:
Miles

Well, no, not actually...

But I mostly use OS X.

But it's really weird, it's not a particularly big image (20k) or anything, so it seems strange that memory would have anything to do with it...

12-01-2003 12:03

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Try it. 20k can be 20k too much.

12-09-2003 21:36

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I've not seen this before. If anyone else gets this please post and we'll try and establish a pattern. Miles, does it happen just when exporting to a particular format from a particular package?

Mark