But how about MIDI ?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-20-2003 01:57

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Thanks team for the updated version of TNT, I was glad to see some of those bugs finally put to death. However, what about MIDI support ? The lack of real MIDI support within TNT remains a significant issue. The conversion to MOD/MAD just doesn't work well enough, and never will.

So Mark, John, how about proper Quicktime audio support including MIDI? We've been waiting somewhat patiently for a long, long time.

11-20-2003 22:57

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

I'll second that, I'm afraid. Even if it does rely on the whims of differing quicktime instruments, Midi is all I can accurately produce - using player pro I managed to convert a tender character theme to something that sounded like a cat trying to use it's claws to stick to a window! Please, proper quicktime support is long overdue...

11-20-2003 23:35

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I believe MIDI support IS important. If you are talented, you can create real good mids. Mids are very small ( 4k ) compared to XMs ( 2000k for the same song ) the editors are better, and I'd like to remark even GameMaker supports MIDi ( OK I know it's not the same thing, but... )

11-24-2003 22:45

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

OK, I give in!

I'll up the priority on MIDI support.

Cheers,

Mark

11-25-2003 00:12

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Thanks muchly. I'll try to make music worth your effort ;-)

11-29-2003 20:24

Posted by:
Shinigami

Click Here to Email Shinigami   Find more posts by Shinigami

One day, I successfully read a MIDI file on TNT Basic, but it was just working for that file.I don't know why, other MIDI files can't be read.
a+
shinigami

11-30-2003 06:27

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

... just to clarify for the last poster, TNT takes a MIDI file and converts it to a MOD file, with some caveats. It's useful to understand the constraints of the conversion. In brief, MOD is a sampled format, so that the conversion sort of plays the MIDI (not at run time, but conversion time) and records the sounds for each channel. Hence, the larger file after conversion, it's actually become a kind of sound file (not really, I know, but for the sake of simple explanation).

Whilst MIDI files can come in a number of different "types", the conversion can only handle a single type of MIDI. Likewise (and this is far more significant) while MIDI handles upto 32 channels in a single file, MOD only handles 8 (I think) and the conversion will simply drop information for the additional channels. Most MIDI files will have the most meaningful instruments in the first few channels, however there are conventions for which channel has the percussion that means you will never normally pick up the percussion during the MOD conversion. Overall, as has previously been noted, the experience is less than satisfying. MOD has its champions, but the shortcomings are IMHO far greater than the benefits.

11-30-2003 16:47

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Since all Macs include Quicktime and it can play Midi w/o problems, it seems like it would be a trivial thing to add.

OTOH, I may be talking through my ass.