Hard crashes in 10.3 on res change?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-05-2003 00:02

Posted by:
Phil

Find more posts by Phil

I occationally get hard crashes in OS-X 10.3 during screen resolution changes (when starting or when stopping an app). I've seen it in my own simple little app as well as in Danlab's Crazy Golf (fun game, btw). It happens just occationally, but when it does, I get a hard kernel crash with the 'You need to restart...' message displayed in 4 or so languages (you know the one).

I tried some varying test loops of resolution changes and draws to try to reproduce it, but I can't make it happen on purpose. :'( Puzzling.

BTW- I am just noticing now that my Finder desktop picture is completely mangled looking on the screen after running some of these tests... hummmm. I have a feeling that I'm seeing a 10.3 kernel bug.

BBTW- I also just noticed six lines like these in the console (not after a crash): *** malloc[387]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xffffffffff; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocation black; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug.

Process 387 is Hieroglyph

Phil

11-07-2003 22:30

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Very strange. It does indeed sound like a kernal bug.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The double free messages are harmless, they're coming from somewhere inside one of the libraries Hieroglyph is using but they won't cause any problems.

Mark

11-11-2003 01:40

Posted by:
Phil

Find more posts by Phil

Project file lost this time...

I've had a few more crashes.. annoying.

This time I crashed while doing a test run with command-R and my project file got corrupted. :'( No backup, and ResEdit's repair attempt fails. (Yeah, my bad for not backing up, but that's a hard habit during development when it never seems done enough to back up...)

But, a little fudging from the terminal using 'strings' brought most of my code back (the hard stuff), and I can recreated and reimport the graphics.

What pain!!!! I'm now pulling out the hardware check CD and am going to let it run overnight. I use my laptop a lot and don't have it crash in anything but TNT Basic. To be fair, I'm pretty sure, though, that it is the Darwin kernel's fault (nothing else can allow a hard crash like this, except for bad hardware).

**Arrrgg!**

Phil