Another crazy idea...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-27-2003 10:13

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

At the moment I have a plan for my game. The character system works in a similar manner to many other RPGs in combat, but each character has their own unique ability aswell as their stats (to balance out weak characters with useful skills. Basically a cheap swipe at FFVI) The plan is that it would lead to some interesting strategies being made up around certain combinations of skills. One of the characters is a bit like a bard on steroids, whos method of attack is to whack enemies over the head with his instrument until they fall to bits. But his ability is also to play the guitar as well, like a battle song. Different tunes would have different effects. Wherein lies the problem. Most of my other abilities are like minigames, and my idea was to have a picture of a guitar bridge with a set of strings on it. Some clever coding would let players stop the strings and then pay the chord. If chord is right, ability works and the group gets a bonus to their stats. The sound here, though, is a little hard to implement. I could just have a sound for each of the legible chords and a default "Screw Up" noise, but it lacks finesse, and I want players to hear when their chords say "Ouch! My eardrums! Bad guitarist, no Buiscuit!" (or something similarly inane), so I would like to be able to access midi, or even better be able to change the rate of sounds (like in hyper card) so that each chord even the stupid ones would be recognisable and the whole thing much more fun... It's not that important, 'cause I could use another solution, but it would make me feel professional and smug ;-)

-wyvern, local gibbering fool

10-27-2003 10:26

Posted by:
Shinigami

Click Here to Email Shinigami   Find more posts by Shinigami

Yeah, it's a very good idea. I think it's a liitle hard to do but it's possible.

a+
shinigami

10-27-2003 22:34

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Yeah that's cool, go for it!

10-27-2003 22:41

Posted by:
eekaydee

Wyvern, how much of your RPG have you made?

And is it like Dragon Warrior?

10-27-2003 23:34

Posted by:
-wyvern

Well...

I've had TNT Basic 2 weeks, but I am familiar with many basic languages, but I've only been working on the engine for five days. I have all the character stats in, and I'm working on the graphic engine now. I have a semblance of a plot already, full of intrigue, emotion, suspense, big scary monsters etc yadda yadda ;-) don't worry, I'm not that bad a writer (Got an A* in GCSE). The hardest part is going to be to put together all the art for the world, the engine I could probalby finish in the next week if I work at it. What I really want is some 3d effects, so I wont be releasing anything until I can use tnt to get my hands on open GL (hint hint Mark) but it should be fairly cool. And big. I am pretty sure NO-ONE has ever designed a magic system like mine before.

What's dragon warrior? I only know it scrolls and the original Zeldas didn't :-). My game scrolls. For gameplay, think of final fantasy type stuff mixed in with an isometric tactical battle system, some strange characters and a cartload of abilities for them all (and I've made all of them up allready, so no suggestions unless it's something really cool). I really want something tactical, so you'd use different combinations of characters, stats, special moves and abilities to act out different battle strategies. All the abilities will be easy to understand, and hard to harness, and some will have minigames you have to do to reap the best possible move (like the Chord ability, or I have a powerful samauri character whose ability spins his sword around a coloured wheel, chaining attacks based on the colour landed on and the reflexes of the player.) Oh, and it's worth pointing out that NONE of the abilities are to do with slot machines, cards or anything like that, 'cause that's not so original any more.

Just be prepared to wait a bit, unless I trust someone enough to let them help with the artwork or the TNT engine evolves to encompas complex 3d effects...

-wyvern

10-27-2003 23:52

Posted by:
eekaydee

Wow, a week is fast! I have been working on my game for over a year, though I don't get much done.

My suggestion to you would be to start working on it now, and not to wait for 3D TNT to come.

And I thought you knew what Dragon Warrior was because there are wyverns in it, and I thought that's what you got your sn from.

10-28-2003 01:01

Posted by:
-wyvern

It's not that good...

Hah, I only have the loading routine and half the main loop sorted. I haven't even started the battle system yet, it's all theoretical at the moment. The only reason it's been improving at all is that it's half term week, so I'm off school.

Wyverns are the greatest things in the universe apart from mangoes and indian takeaways. Everyone should know what a wyvern is.