Resources
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-25-2003 21:39

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Would it be possible to use more varied types of resource inside a program in a future relase of TNT basic? Say if I had used resedit to create a large database of values for my characters in a chär resource, could I access that resource from TNT and extract, say, info on a particular players strength rating when I needed it? Rather than using the read/data commands, which must be programmed from inside the code and are time consuming to modify? Please, this is something I feel is missing.

10-25-2003 22:54

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Yeah, that would be great! Or if not that, at least allow some way to attatch a string value to an object, by name or anything! Giving objects data is very troublesome.

10-26-2003 05:33

Posted by:
Miles

Click Here to Email Miles   Find more posts by Miles

I've resorted to putting data in the name of a resource in my game, then using get resource name to get the data.

"ObjDüde:Green Druid:050:130:010:008:030"

Is a name of one of the image banks. It gets kinda messy...

Being to create and edit TEXT resources in the game file would be really useful, instead of having to constantly make actual text files to store preferences.

Btw, what is a "chär" resource?

10-26-2003 06:13

Posted by:
eekaydee

Hey, I didn't know there was a way to get the names of resources!

10-26-2003 14:19

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

the chär resource name was just an example: you could use a tmpl (or whatever they're called) resource to create a database of character or enemy stats in a chär resource, and then access it in game without having to drain memory with massive arrays. And from the size of what I am making, I'm going to need all the memory I can get. This would have an added bonus; if you release the game's source code (or just releasing the game if any sod finds out how to hack compiled TNT programs) you would delete the tmpl resource before releasing it, so that the resource would appear garbled and make cheating by changing stats more difficult. Of course, you'd have to teach TNT basic to read resourcs using tmpls. But hey, that's not my problem :-) It would be cool.

10-26-2003 22:47

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah, we've toyed with using tmpl resources before. A lot of the code is there but it's not quite finished and we've not integerated it into TNT Basic fully. It's a very useful thing to have, and it makes your game more expandable. Hopefully we'll finish this off one day, but there always seems to be other stuff to write!

Mark

10-27-2003 23:19

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I've been on TNTBasic.com forums for a long time... I've seen so many times "we'll add it on our todo list" but not a single of these functions has been done by now... this list must be very long by now ;)

10-27-2003 23:57

Posted by:
eekaydee

Ooh, put the TMPL resource at the top of the list for selfish RPG makers like me! Even above the speed improvement! >:)

10-28-2003 21:10

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

At this time there are about 90 open feature requests and bugs in our bug database, so yes it is getting pretty long....

I wouldn't say that not a single one of the requests people make on the forums has been done, afterall, hardware acceleration, printing, better networking commands, customisable syntax highlighting and many more features were all requests from the forums. We get our best ideas from you lot so keep em coming!

Mark

10-28-2003 23:01

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

>>
I wouldn't say that not a single one of the requests people make on the forums has been done, afterall, hardware acceleration, printing, better networking commands, customisable syntax highlighting and many more features were all requests from the forums. We get our best ideas from you lot so keep em coming!
>>

Great!