Sprite loading times
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-24-2003 11:15

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

In my game I am using some very large images and animations, and loading times for a set of 64 192x192 images approaches ten seconds. Granted, that is not that slow for the size and quality of the images, but if I am dealing with multiple banks I may be in trouble. Is there any way I can fiddle them to get them to load up faster? Thanks.

10-26-2003 22:51

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

No, I'm afraid there's no way to get it to go faster. You could try only loading what you absolutely need, or splitting them into several different banks and loading them one at a time and updating some sort or progress bar inbetween each bank load though?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Mark

10-26-2003 22:52

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Oh, or you could make your images smaller - although I presume they're the size you need. The bigger they are the slower they load. If there's any blank space around the images trim it off too.

Mark

10-27-2003 00:11

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

I'll see what I can do, thanks anyway. How about you added a feature (and my god, since I entered the forums the feature requests have just about doubled... sorry! :-) that lets the computer upload compressed images so that the processor can expand them on the fly, probably much faster than directly loading each image straight into memory. I know this is used by consoles and some video cards, although it might be tricky to implement.

cheers, -wyvern

10-27-2003 00:26

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Actually, we could pre-encode all the images when you build your game, that way your final built game will load much faster. I wonder why we didn't think of that before.

I'll add it to the todo list.

Mark