Map Editor Request
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-24-2003 09:10

Posted by:
Miles

Click Here to Email Miles   Find more posts by Miles

I'm not sure if it would be very practical to write, but a option in the TNT Map Editor which allows you to set a map layer an invisible colour so that you can see through into the next layer would be incredibly useful. At the moment creating a background for platform games is very awkward, i realise that it is possible to just paste the whole level then copy it with a transperant colour, but this is far too slow, and obviously not possible if you're using Map Viewports, which seems to be the only way to make a game which runs at a decent speed.

Thanks
Miles

10-24-2003 22:14

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

In the layer editor there is an opacity slider for each layer. Just change that to see through.

10-24-2003 23:06

Posted by:
Miles

I'm pretty sure that's only for purposes of editing, and that it doesn't actually display the layers semitransperant in the game. Besides, that's not really what I'm looking for anyway.

10-25-2003 03:49

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Yes, it is for editing purposes only, and the transparency doesn't appear in the game. The only way I think you can do what you want is to use sprites as tiles and set the transparency. See AsondSoft's map tile tutorial.

10-25-2003 05:38

Posted by:
Miles

Yeah, I've seen the Sprite Scrolling thing, and it worked incredibly well for my game, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it running above about 10 - 15 fps on my G4.