forums

TNT Basic Forums > Feedback
Would it be possible to have French TNT?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-22-2003 15:57

Posted by:
Shinigami

Click Here to Email Shinigami   Find more posts by Shinigami

Hello everyone!
I wanted to know if there will be a version of TNT BASIC in French. Although I do not manage too badly in English, that would arrange me that it oneself of French.
thank you
shinigami

10-22-2003 22:56

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I don't know if we could arrange something with the developpers of TNT but I'd be willing to write the french version.

10-22-2003 23:04

Posted by:
someone

The TNT Basic community is getting wider and wider... I think it'd be good if people could use TNT in their own language ( and TNT would become very popular to Franch programmers, cause there are very few to no french programmation language available on the net I believe )

10-23-2003 08:22

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

go on, learn bloody english, you french guys...

10-23-2003 09:57

Posted by:
Shinigami

Learn english is not very easy for some guy. and use a program were the commands are all in english is not very easy too.
Do you think you can program with a French, Spanish or German program Matteo?

10-23-2003 09:59

Posted by:
Shinigami

It is the same problem that we have us to them French.

10-23-2003 13:01

Posted by:
karolos

Find more posts by karolos

May be french tutorials and the help guide also, that could help a lot french people and also french people with english skill but newbie ;-)

10-23-2003 23:33

Posted by:
someone

Hey Matteo, I personnaly believe english is better than french but the fact is, mastering a new language isn't an easy task. I remember when I started programming. I didn't know any english. All I had was Google translation...

10-24-2003 16:06

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

I know it's not easy, but I guess english is very very usefull nowadays (you see? also for programming!) and I guess it is a very good idea to start learning it as soon as possible. Now you just cannot program without english, but soon you will regret much more than that. My friends tat don't know english all regret it for some reason or the other. Dunno how it is in france but here in italy many many jobs require english. I know it's not easy.

10-24-2003 16:46

Posted by:
Shinigami

Yeah, I know it's not very easy, and I never give up !

10-26-2003 22:42

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I shall bear in mind when I redo the TNT Basic core that multi-language support is required. I can see it being quite a straight forward addition, we already support US English/UK English synoynms like 'colour' and 'color', a few more won't hurt. TNT Basic could easily translate programs between languages too (apart from the comments obviously!).

In the meantime, if anyone wants to translate any of our tutorials, then I will be more than happy to put them on our site.

Cheers,

Mark

10-27-2003 23:21

Posted by:
someone

I should come up with some translated tutorials soon, but if you ever want to get a good Franch version someday it'd be good to have a french website...

10-27-2003 23:25

Posted by:
someone

> TNT Basic could easily translate programs between languages too

wait! We can translate the turials and maybe the interface but I don't think the code should be translated, espacially with french ;) look at the example:

set sprite transparency

would become

placer le niveau de transparence du sprite

10-27-2003 23:42

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

We don't neccisarily need to modify the actual language of the compiler that badly, if the docs were translated by a good french speaker then you could leave the commands as they are for simplicities sake, say if shinigami published the source for his game it would be in french and so our english version tnt would choke on it... It would probably also help people who don't speak english get used to reading and writing it. Everyone should speak french, it rocks and is far easier to spell than English. I'd like to meet the guy who made english up, I didn't enjoy getting flogged throughout my school days for leaving the K of know... ;-)

10-28-2003 21:01

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah I'm not too sure how useful translating the code between languages would be, but what I was saying was that TNT Basic would understand what each of its commands are in both French and English, and so all versions of TNT could run all programs in any language, and could even translate between them as it would know that 'placer le niveau de transparence du sprite' meant 'set sprite transparency' and so could just search and replace them. It might not be that useful, you tell me!

As for the docs or possibly a french website, I will offer my full support, but I can't afford to spend any more time maintaining websites than I'm already spending on tntbasic.com, else no work would get done on TNT Basic at all (oh and I don't speak French!). So if anyone else wants to translate tutorials and the like then I'll host them, but I can't devote much more time that I already am, so it would be largely a community led project.

Cheers,

Mark

10-28-2003 23:04

Posted by:
someone

I could translate the docs and even host them!

>> Everyone should speak french, it rocks and is far easier to spell than English

Arrg??? Easier to spell? Where did you get this idea? Look at the verb to go / aller:

I go
you go
he goes
she goes
it goes
we go
you go
they go

je vais
tu vas
il va
nous allons
vous allez
ils vont

I just can't see where french is easier...

10-28-2003 23:38

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Fair enough I suppose. I just said aller and left it at that in my exam, which might explain a grade too embarrasing to mention.

10-29-2003 08:26

Posted by:
Shinigami

I think juste the help and tutorials of TNT must be translated, but not the fonctions (set sprite etc...).