Texture mapping?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-19-2003 12:13

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

I have been saving up from what little I can scrounge from university to register TNT basic, it is quite literally the best Basic interpreter I have had the good fortune to come across... Could I bend your ear for a moment?

Do you have any plans to implement texture mapped/goraud shaded polygons? I have tried to build my own polygon renderer but it has thusfar achieved a framerate of 1 200x200 Polygon per sec. Would you be able to put any, say, openGL commands into TNT Basic levels of simplicity? Failing that, is there any guides as to how you could make something in TNT that wold render Textured Polygons at a reasonable pace? Please, I am making a little RPG engine that could use these effects.

Other than that, Keep up the great work. TNT Basic rocks.

-wyvern

10-19-2003 19:06

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

We would love to get some 3d commands into TNT Basic, but we have none at the moment and it would take time to get it all into place. We'd certainly go the OpenGL route, but we'd want to make it as easy as possible, as like it or not, constructing and controlling objects in 3d is a lot more difficult and far less intuitive than controlling sprites in 2d.

As for writing a texture mapper in TNT Basic, I'm afraid that there probably isn't a very fast way of doing it at the moment. There aren't any high level commands that you could use, so you'd have to do it using pixel setting commands, and you're not going to get anything like good speed out of them.

If you're using a lot of pixel drawing commands then the first thing you should do is turn off draw tracking. Draw tracking is how TNT Basic figures out which bits of the screen to draw when you call 'Draw Frame'. If you do lots and lots of little drawing operations like pixel setting, then the overhead of tracking all these tiny regions quicky becomes large. So you should turn it off, then use the Inval Rect command to manually mark the regions that need to be drawn to screen when 'draw frame' is called.

I really don't think that you'll get it going fast enough though I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Mark

10-20-2003 18:37

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Thanks - I'll see what I can do. The sooner you get in 3d implementation, the more time I get to play around with it and turn it into something cool.

10-20-2003 21:31

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

OK, but don't hold your breath, we need to update TNT Basic's core first to make it a lot faster, and update our res file format so we're not restricted by the small file size of the Macintosh res file format.

Mark

10-22-2003 10:30

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Hmmmmmmmmpppf.....................................................................................................................................................................................<holding my breath>..............