TNT and pcs
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

09-30-2003 16:01

Posted by:
madscientist

Click Here to Email madscientist   Find more posts by madscientist

this isnt a newbie post about porting TNT to the windows, so put those flamethrowers down....

ok, problem is thus-
i have to write program for an A level project this year and have until april to finish it. Everyone else is doing a painfully simple and even more painfully dull database in DOS based TurboPascal. I want to do a game of some description and am torn between realbasic and TNT.
I would rather do TNT because it would be much easier and more to the point, cheaper. Unfortunatly the school doesnt have any macs in the building and im not about to bring a powerbook to school (and have to replace it every week because it gets stolen).

so what i would like from you is advice on how you would go about this

------
i have broadband so I can easily do the coding with VNC, but it may not be fast enough for debugging.
also, they need to see the program running at the end (but i could risk a powerbook for one day)

10-01-2003 00:23

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Hmmm...

if you're looking for a cross-platform programming engine, you should try:

- JAVA ( fully cross-platform but much more difficult than BASIC and slow )
- PERL ( I think you make games in it but I'm not sure; for the mac version search macPERL )
- Python ( www.python.org I think it's cross-platform but it's an interpreter so the interpreter must be installed on a computer if you want it to read your programs I think )

as you saw, I know names but I only use JAVA, so I can't say much more about the others.

10-01-2003 00:25

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

but TNT for windows would be great too ;)

10-01-2003 01:58

Posted by:
buddy

Click Here to Email buddy   Find more posts by buddy

It might be easiest to solve the problem of "how to keep your powerbook from being stolen for one day."

With TNT Basic, you'll be able to do something really cool, in just a little time. I think it's worth getting creative about the notebook. Heck, just carry it around all day in a backpack if you have to...

Good luck!

10-01-2003 04:15

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Your school doesn't have any macs? Wow, all the schools I have seen have macs.

Anyway, I agree with Buddy, unless you are very worried about theft at your school. If you are only considering Real Basic and TNT, I would pick TNT, because it is indeed much cheaper and simpler to make games with.

10-01-2003 04:16

Posted by:
eekaydee

quote:
i have broadband so I can easily do the coding with VNC, but it may not be fast enough for debugging.

What exactly is VNC?

10-01-2003 15:50

Posted by:
madscientist

Click Here to Email madscientist   Find more posts by madscientist

VNC=virtual network control
effectivey takes fires the screen output across a netowrk and puts it on your screen, lets you click on stuff ect, as if you were right in front of it.
it takes lot of bandwidth to send the screen dumps, so the screen only refreshes every 2 seconds or so. this means i could put in the code ect. but not to actually run the program properly

i would really rather use tnt as it seems far easier to use for writing games fast (altough i do have until easter, my aim is to have the code done by the end of october)

and the other problem with bringing a powerbook to school is that there is a distinct absence of powerbook in my inventory. (although i could probably borrow one)

10-03-2003 01:37

Posted by:
eekaydee

Oh you don't have the powerbook? That might be a problem.

Sorry to go off topic again, but how do you use VNC? And is it only for OSX or is there a way to use it on OS 9?