320x240 screen res idea - feature request
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-29-2003 23:55

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

OK, I like old snes and genesis games with the edges on the art because they're 320x240x2.

I was thinking that with a small feature addition this would not be too hard to add and might increase speed if you're so inclined to using low res.

If the makers of tntbasic can add a small feature to the copy canvas code, so that you can render the screen at 320x240 offscreen then copy it to the canvas while multiplying it by 2 you can get this look.

I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to add wither (though I'm not familiar with coding in C++).

Thanks for the consideration!

08-30-2003 02:48

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Wow, snes and nes graphics are in 320x240?
I also want to be able to copy areas of a canvas to any size, like copyrect in Metal Basic!

08-30-2003 02:56

Posted by:
eekaydee

quote:
Wow, snes and nes graphics are in 320x240?

Oops you never said nes

08-30-2003 12:45

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

new games are 456x240 I think ( from what I've seen with my nes emulator )

you could fake it with copy image, then set sprite X and Y scale, but I don't think it would be much faster...

08-30-2003 12:45

Posted by:
someone

> but I don't think it would be much faster...

I mean, if you want it to be fast, TNT will have to support it ( as you said )

08-31-2003 10:17

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

It'd be an interesting feature I think. :)

08-31-2003 21:59

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

At full size:
NES and SNES games are 256x240
Genesis games are 320x255

SNES and NES games apparently (At least NTSC) use a more square screen weirdly, but when actually on TV, the top and bottom is cut off. About 24 pixels all together, actually.

Genesis uses the actual wide format. Close to actual 4:3. But a teeny bit wider. Only a teeny bit is cropped off a Genesis canvas.

Not sure about PAL, but this is NTSC.

I don't think todays monitors would allow a size like that actually, but you can fake it and make games faster by just setting the res to that smaller size. TNT will center it and the games actually go faster. But it looks silly. I think it's about time Mark implemented that floating window option.

09-01-2003 14:21

Posted by:
someone

Actually implemeting low-re should be pretty easy ( of course I don't know how is the core of TNT, but resizing the double-buffering image should be a real problem )

09-01-2003 18:32

Posted by:
eekaydee

quote:
I don't think todays monitors would allow a size like that actually, but you can fake it and make games faster by just setting the res to that smaller size. TNT will center it and the games actually go faster.

Wow, I didn't know TNT could do that!

09-04-2003 22:54

Posted by:
someone

But a full-screen low resolution would be better. Hey? Where are the developpers of TNT? It seems like ages since they posted anything on this forum!

09-20-2003 23:40

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

The technique you're talking about of blowing a low res image upto full screen used to be very common. Marathon 1 had a toggle between 'lores' and 'hires' on F5 I seem to remember. However, with Mac OS X, it's not very easy to do this in a compatible way, as it involved something called 'writing directly to the screen'. This essentially made your program take over the display completely, but in Mac OS X this isn't recommended as things like the dock and the volume up and down indicators like to draw over your game. It's almost certainly doable, but I'm just not sure it's recommended by Apple anymore.

Anyway, computers are so fast now that there's less and less incentive to do it, especially if it's got the potential to cause problems, so we'll probably leave things as they are on this front.

Mark

09-20-2003 23:53

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Yeah, some people complaint that even 640*480 is too low...

09-21-2003 00:23

Posted by:
someone

320x240 were proposed because we want better speed in TNT. So if you can't lower the resolution, you could speed it up maybe...

I don't know much about C++, but I can do C-level programming, and it is not difficult at all to do the res thing, you just need to resize the buffer image before printing it to the screen? Or do you use something completely different?