< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-01-2003 17:32

Posted by:
Gyptal IV

Click Here to Email Gyptal IV   Find more posts by Gyptal IV

here's a newbie with very high dreams!

let's say i wanted to make Myst 3, exile on TNT... you know, a 360º view, turn to look at everything, click and go there...
can i do it? and if so, how?? to turn 360? a never ending map?
any help/ideas are highly appreciated!

08-02-2003 14:46

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

OK, you can fake a 360 degree view from left to right with a very large sprite that represent the image all around you. But, contrarely to Myst 3, you cannot use distortion ( fix a certain object in M3 and turn around; it gets distorted when it gets on an edge to fake 3D ) on the image at a reasonable speed. M3 was made with a real compiler, and you cannot hope of doing something similar in TNT basic unless it came supporting QuickTime VR .( Do you understand? I'm not sure I'm being clear )

08-03-2003 18:40

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

This has popped up before seehttp://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=160 for more information. I tried to access the web directory he mentioned so I could give a direct link to the downloads, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. TNT was only ever really designed with 2D games in mind anyway.

08-04-2003 11:22

Posted by:
Martin

Click Here to Email Martin   Find more posts by Martin

This link will provide some illustrations plus code for 3d.

<http://homepage.mac.com/seascapesoftware/basicallyreal/html/examples.html>;

Martin

08-04-2003 14:09

Posted by:
someone

No, Myst 3 isn't 3D, it's Virtual Reality viewports. You can turn around but it's only a large panorama.

08-04-2003 14:32

Posted by:
Martin

Click Here to Email Martin   Find more posts by Martin

Thanks.
I learn everyday.
Martin

08-04-2003 21:37

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

I haven't played myst 3, but I'm still interested.

quote:
No, Myst 3 isn't 3D, it's Virtual Reality viewports. You can turn around but it's only a large panorama.

So it's a big picture that wraps seamlessly? What did you mean by distortion?

08-04-2003 23:44

Posted by:
someone

Imagine you want to make a round room. You create a large image with a flat floor, and in the game the left and right sides get distorted so that the room appears round. Cube-shaped rooms use a different distortion type, and all of that kind. But TNT isn't fast enough to draw distortion. However, you can display a viewport without distortion ( unless someone finds a way I haven't thought of??? ) . The effect will be less good-looking but still very playable.

08-07-2003 23:48

Posted by:
eLL

Click Here to Email eLL   Find more posts by eLL

ah Gyptal IV

als i know that you want web support for your game
and of course you want true 3D...

i'd keep on looking if i were you

DIM3
iGame3D

these support full 3d, and utilize models
tnt basic at the current time, the points are inputted as data arrays

a 113 point, 16 sided, staggered , bowl object requires 113 separate data lines,
along with the procedures to draw it..

there is a popular 3d model for use with meshwork
( an easy to harvest 3d modelling format, if you drop it on simple text you can immeditely get access to the vertices)
its a very low res model about 269 points, available in the extras archive.

this would be a nightmare to implment, and the docs with the simple 3
d files, state:

"Here are some examples of very simple 3D engines in TNT. The Wire Frame is the faster, the White polygon one is next fastest, and color is least fastest. Slower computers can probably run even the color version ok, but to make a 3D game with color would require a very nice computer."

this was as of feb 2002.

i think that tnt might have great support for tnt in the near future, especially ssince i believe that they use openGL for scaling and other nice effects (similar to the cpapbilities of graphics routines of SNES)

'course the net suppot is there, as it staands the only tool with the ease, speed, power, stability...is realBaasic...but then again JowStrout, the guy who created MeshWork, and recently opened the door to 3D for a lot of people, me included...is the mind of RB3D. Don't know how far its progressed, but i do know that in the very early days(about 98-99), it had a very slick
demo game included with source called forrest gold, ...long short

its built into all new copies of Rb and avaialble as a plug for older versions.

but i'd take a look at both X only...sad face
[homepage.mac.com/shavendave/FileSharing7.html ]Dim3[/url]
no saves
js

,ig3d
its own syntax

there's torque($100...mad prereq's...pc software),
blender(python and you'll need the manual...i'm currently lost...but it comes with a 279 page book and game kit...and 10 very high quality "demo" games).

if anyone else is aware of anymore 3d game engines that don't require C++ (too much set up)