Delete image crash
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-22-2003 02:01

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Trying to delete an image that doesn't exist causes TNT to crash during runtime, giving no errors.

Just letting you know

07-22-2003 14:31

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Talking about delete image and copy image, I had a strange bug. I had a boss burst in fire ( just like in Ambrosia's "Ferazel's wand", if you know this game ) so I had to make the sprite gradually disappear from top to bottom as the fire consumed it. I used a mask in another canvas with copy image and delete image. When I tested the level, it was working perfectly. But I disovered if "copy image" was used previously in the game, it would run at 1 frame per 5 seconds!!! And it had a 24 fps when copy image was used for the first time at this boss?!?!?!

07-23-2003 13:19

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

OK I've logged the delete image crash and will look into it later.

I'm not sure about the copy image issue - are you sure that if you used the copy image command earlier you weren't calling it under different conditions or with different parameters that could cause it to slow down?

Eg copying to the screen canvas when there's loadsa other stuff happening will mean that more of the screen has to be redrawn and will result in lower framerates. Or maybe you were running more game logic during the other copy image and that was slowing down? If you can, try and produce a simple as possible example demonstrating this problem, something less than 100 lines of code then email it to me.

Cheers,

Mark

07-23-2003 16:48

Posted by:
someone

Very difficult. I do not know about any difficult operation during the image copy, it was working absolutely fine before. In fact, the game was finished except for the menu and it was working fine. But I had yo use copy image at the menu to grab sprites out of a large image, and it was working at the right speed too. But when i reached the boss that used it, it was incredibly slow.

07-23-2003 16:51

Posted by:
someone

Or maby it's a bug with paste image?

07-24-2003 15:29

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Paste image is very slow since it has load the image from the disk, while sprites are loaded from the RAM (I think...)

07-26-2003 00:10

Posted by:
someone

>
Paste image is very slow since it has load the image from the disk, while sprites are loaded from the RAM (I think...)
>

but paste images uses a loaded image bank id!

07-26-2003 23:05

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hmm.. got a bit confused in my first reply, thought you were on about 'copy canvas' not 'copy image'.

Copy image is a bit of a slow command, is there any way of making the image bank before hand? I'm afraid I'm not sure what effect you're trying to create, but would it help to display another sprite that looked like the background over the boss rather than making the boss sprite smaller?

Like I said, not sure what effect you're going for so I might be off base here.

Paste image is pretty fast, you should be ok with that one. All images are held in RAM once loaded/copied using copy image.

Cheers,

Mark