<Bloop Master> via ohlssonvox
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-08-2003 04:37

Posted by:
ohlsonvox

Click Here to Email ohlsonvox   Find more posts by ohlsonvox

I found TNT basic and think this is a very nice programming platform. Very simple to use. Now I think I will make a little game for the Mac community called "bloop master" It will be a mixture of Asteroids, centenpede and a pinball machine. I expect it to be pretty insane. I am really just still in the early stages of mapping out how t he game will work on my sketch book. I like to plan out the entire project before beginning, so I want to take some time to make bloop master a REALLY fun game. I plan to make some sweet graphics, but this game will place priority in this order:

1) game play
2) sound
3) graphics

I wan to bring the feeling of a nice Williams game of Robotron 2084. Crap graphics, great game, TREMENDOUS sound effects.

I hope my dream can make enough time to be made. I think it must be done. I want to make a game that is not cool or elite. I want to make a game that is just kick ass fun. I believe the game play and sound are the most important in this task.

ohlssonvox

07-14-2003 18:58

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

graphics graphics graphics

Very few people nowadays appreciate a game without nice graphics. I guess graphics are nowadays the most important part of a game. Sorry, but this is it.

07-14-2003 20:18

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Don't worry, there are still gamers that appreciate gameplay more than amazing graphics :). I myself still like to play old NES games. The thing about the NES graphics is that they still look good.

08-11-2003 08:07

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Exactly.

As someone who is trying to get one game finished, I've decided to try and make an Early 80's style Arcade game. But I can't think of which game to emulate. Mario Bros. Donkey Kong. Kid Icarus (I like the vertical scrolling idea.). Ice Climbers (Same vertical scrolling). Bubble Bobble. Excitebike. Fire 'N' Ice... I've even thought about an old style racer where it looks like a 3D road with winding paths and stuff on the sides of the road. It'd be easy once I figured out how to do the whole turning part. To make the graphics look right when turning. Like Rad Racer and Road Blasters.

The thing is TNT gets a bit slow in the framerate when too many sprites are on screen. I tried to recreate an Asteroids Vector style game but TNT is really slow at both line and math. The two things it should be FASTEST at!

As a video game collector, I find the style of the old 8 and 16-bit games to have the best ideas. Most games these days are rehashes of ideas that have been rehashed so many times. The world could benefit from a few old style platformers or puzzles.

08-14-2003 22:26

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Well our drawing routines like line and set pixel colour are much slower than our sprite engine. If you did the asteroids using sprites it would be much faster. We didn't spend much time on the drawing commands as we thought it better to concentrate on fast sprites instead.

Cheers,

Mark

08-15-2003 10:38

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

You do plan on speeding drawing up soon, don't you?

08-15-2003 22:47

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

yeah, draw pixel and draw line are a real scandal!