Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-06-2003 01:24

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Hi, you can find RADICAL REBOUND 3 and my new website at

http://www.danlabgames.com/radicalrebound/

The registration system is not up yet but you might want to check the demo. If somebody gives me particularly useful feedback he gets a free serial number ;-)

07-07-2003 05:34

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Hope you find this useful :)

I haven't encountered all of your 20 powerups so maybe this is already one, but it would be cool if you could absorb shots and shoot out a big blast. If that goes against your "non-shooter" ideals, you could have it rebound them back after a certain number of absorbed shots. Maybe you could also have power-downs, which look like sad smileys (boy, that sounded odd). One could attract shots to you, for example, or, obviously, make your shield smaller. Or maybe one could annoyingly move your shield around.

It does get kind of repetitive because you can only turn. Maybe you could introduce a thrust button so it would be more like asteroids, where you thrust and you slide around.

I like how you threw those anime sprites in...you have a very unique style which I noticed when I saw the chicken in RR1.

07-07-2003 05:42

Posted by:
eekaydee

oops

Sorry, I didn't finish my post.

I was also thinking that you could change your font. It doesn't really reflect the space theme...well actually neither does the chicken, but that's funny.

I thought it was kind of weird how those three sites linking to your game (version tracker, etc) had different info about the price of the game.

I really like how enemies get hurt when you run into them...I never liked how in most games you're the only one that gets hurt when you touch an enemy.

Anyway, cool game. Are you planning to make a RR4?

07-07-2003 06:09

Posted by:
eekaydee

Wow, now I have to try DanLab's Crazy Golf too!

After playing the game more, I came up with more ideas.

Instead of that thrust idea I had earlier, you could give the player a certain amount of boost fuel to use when needed.

I have a good idea! Since you already let the player choose his character and ship, why not make the decision more meaningful than just for looks? Give each character/ship some different qualities and powers. The ships can have different amounts of health, speed, turning speed, shield size, and ship size (so some are harder to hit than others). The pilots can have certain powers; maybe you could make them be able to use one of the powerup powers, which has to charge up to use it again.

Sorry I keep posting :)

07-22-2003 14:57

Posted by:
matteo

Suggestions: APPROVED!

Hey, I almost applied all of your suggestions! Thank you! Next version will have the characters each one with it's special power (that is automatically activated when you hit 5 guys consecutively without being hit), and there will be 3 types of spaceship: the standard one, the one like in asteroids (with thrust) and another one in between.

Hey, if you have any other idea, you are almost my personal advisor now!

07-22-2003 16:31

Posted by:
eekaydee

Hehe, awesome! :D Can't wait to play it!

Well let's see...it's always been my opinion that being able to buy stuff makes games more fun. Especially when your money helps you make more money faster, like with new shields/engines or something. Since your levels aren't missions anymore, it might be hard to think of a reason why you would get money though...

I think I'm out of good ideas now :) I'll let you know any that come to mind though.

Is this RR4 now?

Eekaydee

07-22-2003 17:39

Posted by:
matteo

Thx! Yeah, also I love that "do missions to make money to buy stuff to do harder missions to make lots of money to buy great stuff to do even harder missions to make so much money to buy ..." ;-)

Nope, it's not Radical Rebound 4, There really is not enough change, it's more likely 3.1

Anyway the big problem is I cannot add anymore sprites to my banks 'cause I have this strange problem on os 9 that if I load too much stuff at a time the game starts to slow down heavily (there is a point where if I add ONE more sprite it does this trick). This bugs me quite a lot. Oh well. Instead, I tried RR with your ship always centered in the screen, and planets and other spaceships moving (as in escape velocity), quite spectacular an confusing ;-)

07-23-2003 13:12

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Matteo,

Do you mean the number of onscreen sprites or do you mean the number of images in an image bank?

If it's sprites - what is the number?

Cheers,

Mark

07-24-2003 16:20

Posted by:
matteo

Happens only on OS 9

It's the number of loaded sprites, or better, the total RAM usage of loaded sprites: when it reaches a certain amount, TNT (hardware mode (dunno if also software mode)) gets much slower (goes from 27 FPS to about 15 on my iMac). From that point on, you can add how many image banks you want and it does not get even slower.

I partially got through this bug by unloading some banks while loading others, but it's not nice to continue to load and unload stuff (you loose time)

This bug happens only on OS 9. (On OS X it works fine). I tried it on 2 computers and it happens on both. It's probably not an extension conflict since one of these computers has almost no non-standard extensions and is almost non used other than for word processing.

TNT 1.12, though better than 1.11, has still some memory problems at least on Os 9. I remember telling you also that if you just LOAD a big song, that slows TNT quite a bit also if you're not even playing it .

About 1/4 of those that download my game use 0S 9 (me to!), so I can't just kick them off. If you manage to fix this bug fast it would be great, since I could continue to expand my game beyond any limit ;-) (apart from the 16 MB roof)

Thx

Matteo

07-24-2003 16:21

Posted by:
matteo

Oh, if you fix it you get a free serial number!

07-24-2003 16:26

Posted by:
matteo

Anyway I did already report the problem in here:

http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=608