Damage calculation
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-02-2003 22:15

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Does anyone know a common way that RPGs calculate damage knowing the attack power and defense?

07-02-2003 22:58

Posted by:
eLL

Click Here to Email eLL   Find more posts by eLL

D&D

you could always hunt down one of those D&D sites, they probably have a basic primer on play rules and such.

http://www.rpgamer.com

my common understanding is that damage is measured by subtracting major resistances, like natural resistance, chemical, fire, cold, magic(which is pure damage, all stats/items save magic resistance are negated )

another is saving throws(i have a foggy iunderstanding on this)

another is measuring a special statistic against the enemies special stat(which can have a starting value, and can be incremented at the point of conflict), whomever has the higher stat..inflicts damage this turn. The difference between the two is then multiplied by ( damage stat of the advantage holder) or by a value rolled at that time.
ie

you initially have a special stat value of 4, you roll an additional 1 for this turn
the opponent has an initial value of 1, and rolls an aditional 7 for this turn.
you have 5, the opponent has an 8..you're going to incur damage.
the opponent rolls a 6, this is then multpilied by the difference between your current
stats, 3.
the opponent strikes you for 18hp.
the opponents damage type(ice) is taken into account and your resistances(50%) are deducted forom the raw damage to give you the net damage(9hp) you will incur.

blah blah there's more but its something to this accord...good luck.

07-03-2003 00:39

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

why should you stick to what others do? I mean, keep it simple: something like damage=attackStrength-defenseStrength, with the probability of being hit depending on attackSkill and defendingSkill or something like this...

07-03-2003 05:36

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Thanks, I found some source code and it was just like what matteo said but the defense was divided by two before it was subtracted from the damage.

I also found a lot of combat systems for D&D-type games where dice are rolled.

The reason why I wanted to know how others did it is because then I could make it reasonable...didn't want an increase in 5 defense to cut damage in half or anything.