< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

06-12-2003 00:42

Posted by:
Martin

Click Here to Email Martin   Find more posts by Martin

I have a problem.

What I did was to select all of the code from "Bouncing Splats," copy it, and then pasted it in as code in a new project file in Hieroglyph in order to see if I could create an identical program but with my own images.

Specifically, I created a background picture and three images, labeled #128, #129, and #130 on the left panel of the Graphics Window. The last three were dragged separately into bank # 128 and appeared as 000, 001,and 002 respectively. Using the code from "Bouncing Sprites," I ran the program but only sprite #001 appears. (My background pict is fine.) If I rearrange the sprites in the bank, whatever sprite occupies the 001 place appears. Those that occupy place 000 and 002 do not appear. Apparently, only #129 (001) is loaded in the array.

What's the explanation?

Can you help? What have I done wrong?

Martin

06-12-2003 12:47

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

The simplest reason would be if you're refrenceing the wrong sprites, or you've not copied the right ones over..are there any runtime errors which may suggest this?

06-12-2003 16:57

Posted by:
Martin

I downloaded TNT Basic 1.12 twice today. Before doing it the second time I trashed my code as well as all documents, etc. from TNT Basic 1.12 and the Examples Pack. Bouncing Splats did not work either. Only red splats appeared. I am at a loss. FYI I'm running 9.2.2 on a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) Mac Tower.

Martin

06-12-2003 22:10

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

The actual bouncing splats file only uses image 001. If you want it to display different images, you have to code that yourself in line #52, where the code makes the sprites.

sprite spriteNum,xpos[spriteNum],ypos[spriteNum],1

Just change the 1 at the end to "random(0,2)" and each splat will flash rainbow! Or you could make an array of the image of each sprite so they stay the same color.

06-12-2003 22:11

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

Yeah, so it's SUPPOSED to only show red splats :)

06-13-2003 11:06

Posted by:
Martin

Thank you all very much. Everything works just fine. I don't know why I recalled that the original generated all splats. Now I have to register and get on with what I want to do.

Martin

06-14-2003 20:09

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

There's another version of Bouncing Splats in the examples pack called 'Bouncing Splats Moan' that uses moan to move, rotate and scale all the splats on the screen. This one also happens to use multiple coloured splats, maybe that's the one you remember?

Mark

06-23-2003 20:04

Posted by:
Martin

I just looked at MOAN and downloaded all the information I could. It looks very good and complicated.
But I'm about to spend an afternoon studying it. By the way bouncing splats with Moan - is fantastic!

Martin

06-23-2003 23:53

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Noooooooo....

Avoid MOAN at all costs ;p

06-24-2003 13:13

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I personnaly believe moan will only cause pproblems, because you do not have real control. You just say to a sprite move, or animate, and it does it for a few frames on, wich makes it difficult to control because when you don't use moan you modify it every frame. That's my opinion.

07-03-2003 21:05

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah, it's a different way of programming, but it makes 'fire and forget' type effects really easy. Like you can very easily set a 'smoke' sprite come off your spaceship move with the wind, grow and fade out in moan, and all you have to do is place the sprite and assign a moan program. Repeat for more smoke.

You can also use it to make shoot-em-ups really easily by recording mouse movement or creating complex sprite movements by assigning multiple moan programs to the same sprite.

Anyway, each to their own!

Cheers,

Mark

07-05-2003 10:10

Posted by:
Martin

FYI

I decided not to pursue MOAN right now. But it does look good.

Martin

07-05-2003 12:53

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

>I decided not to pursue MOAN right now

That's a good move. Death to MOAN and MOANers! (It's become almost a religious war ;-)