genesis map and colisions?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

06-06-2003 03:19

Posted by:
Kevin Harms

Click Here to Email Kevin Harms   Find more posts by Kevin Harms

when using genesis is there a way to indicate what map tiles are impassable?

what method is normally used to perform checks against the map?

thanks,
kevin

06-06-2003 04:41

Posted by:
anoved

Find more posts by anoved

map tiles

quote:
when using genesis is there a way to indicate what map tiles are impassable?

what method is normally used to perform checks against the map?

Well, the method I used when I was working on my previous, more ambitious project was to check the value returned by the Map Tile command for whatever tile I was attempting to enter. If the value matched whatever tiles were supposed to be impassable (or possess any other special behavior), then I'd act accordingly.

There are probably other ways of doing this, but this way worked well enough for me. Hope it helps.

Jim

06-06-2003 12:50

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Is this to indicate to the user or thr programmer? If the user, you could refrence the tiles into an array and maybe make them a different colour so they stand out? But wouldn't collision detection indicate out of bounds tiles to the user if they cannot go there anyway? Or are you thinking of traps such as pits, rivers, etc?

06-06-2003 14:43

Posted by:
anoved

quote:
Is this to indicate to the user or thr programmer? If the user, you could refrence the tiles into an array and maybe make them a different colour so they stand out? But wouldn't collision detection indicate out of bounds tiles to the user if they cannot go there anyway? Or are you thinking of traps such as pits, rivers, etc?

You can do all of those things by using Map Tile, without needing to load all your map's tiles into an array yourself (Map Tile basically accesses the same kind of thing). Yes, use different colors/images to differentiate tiles, and collision detection (whether it be done with Map Tile or otherwise) to determine which tiles were walls, edge of the level, or tiles that are otherwise out of bounds.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by user vs programmer. Doesn't the programmer take care of collision detection (and all other technical tasks) in order for the game to work intuitively (ie, not walking through walls) for the user?

I'm probably really misinterpreting you. Poke a stick in my eye if I'm lecturing needlessly. :-P

Jim

06-06-2003 22:53

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I once a made a tutorial explaining "deeply" how to make collisions. You may find it in the learning section of www.tntbasic.com

06-06-2003 23:40

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

what is the name of this tutorial?

06-07-2003 01:23

Posted by:
anoved

I think its the 'Map Tutorial,' right?

06-07-2003 22:19

Posted by: