The future of TNT
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-29-2003 12:10

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Hey, I' d like to know if you decided if TNT will still be an interpreter or a metacompiler or a compiler.

Have you started working on the rewrite?
How many lines of code is TNT?
When are we getting the new version?
Any other info on the next version?
Will you do some update in the near future or will you wait till you re-wrote the engine?

05-29-2003 21:24

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hey, I' d like to know if you decided if TNT will still be an interpreter or a metacompiler or a compiler.

Have you started working on the rewrite?
How many lines of code is TNT?
When are we getting the new version?
Any other info on the next version?
Will you do some update in the near future or will you wait till you re-wrote the engine?

It will be at least a meta-compiler, possibly a compiler. I've not started it yet as I've been really busy recently. My current project is a new tntbasic.com website that will let people post their examples, links, news etc and generally provide a better meeting point for tnt basic developers. It's not a big job but I've not had much time, it's progressing well however.

We've fixed lots of bugs already for the new version, but it won't ship until we fix some more and we're not doing that until the website is done. Maybe a few months yet. Will be mainly bug fixes I think, there's been a lot of internal reorganisation that will mean we can move to project folders instead of resource files in a subsequent version (no more 16Mb limit!) but not in the next release.

Not sure how many lines tnt is. It's a pretty large project, is written in C++ and spans about 200 files of source - not including the blast engine and support libraries which probably add another 60-80 or so files. Hieroglyph is even bigger as it spans several plug ins and has a lot more features than what the tnt basic users see - the tnt basic ide is just another plug in for it!

Cheers,

Mark

05-29-2003 23:58

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

long live tully...

wow, you must be an amazing coder! I guess you' re a coder as job, since I immagine you can' t do this kind of stuff if you' re not pretty trained. Amazing job you' ve done with TNT, hope you get your rewards ;-)

So, now that after 6 months of programming, started with TNT, games have no more secrets for me, I' ll have to start coding a game maker... while you can start a game maker maker for me!

05-31-2003 07:01

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I can't wait. Really.

What are you doing with the website? Redoing it or somewhint? And will a better Forum be part of the deal? If there's one thing this forum lacks is flexibility. Especially many tags, even the [CODE] tag which would be so useful on a forum dedicated to Programming.

I hope to see really big speed boosts soon. Especially in OS X. I'd like to get 60 FPS in more complex games.

06-02-2003 23:29

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Good to hear about the longer term plans, but I'm very disappointed that you're holding back the bug fixes for so long. The GetKeys issue especially (although I know that this is a workaround to an Apple bug) has meant that I have delayed a re-release of Tinadel until a fix is available.

Would it be possible to put out a bug fix version sooner ... pretty please?

Mark

06-04-2003 20:39

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I will try and get this bug fixed, but if I divide myself too much I'll never get anything done. The website is nearly finished, the GetKeys issue will be addressed in the next released, if it all starts taking too long then we might do an interim release also. 10.3 will be out next month (I think) and if that fixes it then there'll be no problem anyway! (not that I'm going to hold my breath on that one!).

Cheers,

Mark