forums

TNT Basic Forums > Bugs!
Hardware Mode is not fast. It should be fast!
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-21-2003 21:28

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Ok, so Mark says Hardware Mode only works on Sprites, so I changed my vector graphjic ship, weapons and enemies into sprites and commented out their former line/oval based counterparts.

I run and it's slow.

I go back and as a last resort comment out all lines containing the Line, Oval, Rect, Set Pixel Color and everything pertaining to drawing. I run and it's STILL SLOW. Albeit a little faster, but it's slow as molasses. It runs faster without Hardware mode but I can't do rotations. I need rotations. So I need Hardware mode. But it's not working.

What gives?

What are the rules to Hardware Mode?

I have a 700MHz iMac G4 Combo with 1024x768 (I run the game at 640x480 and it goes really fast at Framerate Max in Non Hardware mode.)

Please, I am stuck here! It's the point where I need to make a decision to either stick to lines and such with no Hardware or switch to all graphics and use Hardware. But it is not playing nice.

I can send the file to Mark or someone nice and smart if I need to.

05-21-2003 23:13

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

try the

#do{FastAndFuriousHardwareMode}

command at the second line of the code (after you have downloaded the RadRebPrefs extensions plug-in)

05-21-2003 23:26

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

i'm exhausted. i've been looking for RadRebPrefs extensions plug-in for hours with no luck. matteo, can you give me the web address for it.

05-21-2003 23:33

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Ok. If that is real, yeah. Where do I get it? You keep telling me all these fast commands but I have no way to use them.

05-21-2003 23:33

Posted by:
puffin

if your not using a lot of sprites, try doing the animation of a rotation and writing logic to determine the appropriate frame to be presented. it would probably look about the same and you wouldn't run into the collision detection problem when rotating sprites. it would be faster too, if you don't have a lot of sprites on the screen at once.

05-22-2003 00:21

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Well, my rotatable sprites will have to have at least 72 frames each then. Each key press rotates at either 5 or 10 degrees. So I'd need 72 individual rotations for the ship at least. If I add otrher enemy ships, they'd also need 72. The rocks themselves can be left out of the need to have 72, but the ships themselves will be a lot of sprites.

Right now I'm just continuing with line graphics. But I'd really like to do sprites in the final product.

If you don't think 72 individual images for the main ship and maybe even more (Depending on how many enemy ships I have) will slow the game down a lot, I may just do that. But it'll make the game really big file size wise. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

05-22-2003 00:46

Posted by:
puffin

that does sound like a pain in the ass, and i wouldn't want to do it either. but if you don't mind me asking, where did you come up with the number 72. i don't really know what kind of game your making but 72 sounds excessive.

05-22-2003 00:50

Posted by:
puffin

disregard my last question. i know a way that you could cut the number in half though, flip the sprite. if you do a little testing though, you may find that users can't tell between being able to fire in 72 different directions and, say, 32. just something to consider.

05-22-2003 00:51

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Precision.

360 degrees devided by 5 (The least amount of degrees a ship will rotate) = 72.

05-22-2003 00:56

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Flipping is an option. I just have always been against that.

Like when you have an RPG and the guy carries his sword in the left hand and shield in the right. When he turns the opposite way the shield and sword switch places. That just ain't right. ;-)

I guess it depends on if I make my ship graphic symmetrical. Then I wouldn't mind flipping it.

Right now I'm happilly working in Line mode without any problems. I'd have to gfet a final engine before I start working with the images.

I just wanted to see how well it would work with graphics so I made some simple images (PNG's. Should I have done some other format? Could that be my problem?) and used them. Each frame looked great, it was just moving at < 10 FPS in HW mode. Not good.

05-22-2003 13:36

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

How does the hardware mode Smiley demo run?(the one with alot of smileys bouncing around and changing dimensions)

And why do you need rotations when you have 72 frames of animation?

05-23-2003 03:42

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

I would also like to use the RADical REBound PREFerences file :)

05-23-2003 06:56

Posted by:
matteo

No No!

It' s the :

RADicals REsolving Boost to PREFered Speed

Radicals are operations such as square, cubic roots

with this extension you can

#do{FastSquareRoots}

and a lot of other things I 'll make up at the moment ;-)

05-24-2003 02:11

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

So, is this thing real or not? I have no real answer.

05-26-2003 22:48

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Where can I find this plug-in?

05-27-2003 02:53

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I would say it's just a joke, but Matteo seems to do things with TNT Basic that I've never seen before, so it HAS to exist.

I try to make a game with far less things moving around on screen and it slows to a crawl while his games have many things happening at once and the game exhibits no slowdown whatsoever. What's your secret, Matteo??

05-27-2003 13:08

Posted by:
matteo

the secret...

I got a modified version of TNT that Mark Tully made for me only... HAHA...

Dunno... the trick is to use nice grahics, small sprites and 640*480 res... also not doing stupid things with the code...
Also, I noticed that while playing the right music the game actually gets 1 or 2 frames faster!!! That' s true, no kiddin! Mysteries behind TNT...
Anyway get ready for RadicalRebound v3, it' s gettin UNBELIEVABLE...