ugly sprites
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-20-2003 08:01

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

i've noticed that all my sprites have little traces of their transparent color on their edges. how do i get rid of them?

05-20-2003 09:32

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Fix their masks. Apparently the mask wasn't generatd 100% as good as it could be.

05-20-2003 13:21

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

You probably had them saved as jpeg at a too low quality; it does these tricks

05-20-2003 15:50

Posted by:
puffin

learning more math will always come in handy. there are some free educational resources on the internet like http://www.math.com/, and http://www.ed.gov/free/s-math.html, the latter one being an index of free educational resources provided by the government. it isn't limited just to math either.

05-20-2003 15:51

Posted by:
puffin

what the hell? i'm in the wrong thread!

05-20-2003 18:54

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

*Psst* The "Distance Between Two Points" room is down the hall. ;-)

05-20-2003 18:57

Posted by:
puffin

i'm going to lose it! i've tried everything i can think of to keep those little traces of color from sticking to the edge of my sprites, but nothing seems to work. i even tried taking the vector file directly into pixels, so that their wouldn't be that gradient of color that happens when one color meets another, and that didn't even work. any suggestions would be appreciated.

05-20-2003 20:43

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

It sounds like whatever paint package you've generated the sprites in has anti-aliased the sprite edges. (Anti-aliasing tries to eliminate sharp changes in colour by putting a few pixels of a blended colour along the edge).

If you're drawing in a vector package then exporting, you'll almost certainly find there's some sort of 'anti-alias' or 'smooth colours' option around there somewhere; try turning it off.

Cheers,

Mark

05-20-2003 21:28

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Try not to compress the file at all. I had problems using gif masks ( altought there was no reason why it should not work )

05-20-2003 21:33

Posted by:
puffin

i tried turning antialiasing off and i'm still getting the same results. what file format should i export it in? i've tried jpeg, gif, and eps.

05-20-2003 23:55

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

pay attention that the original file has no such traces of color (maybe because it was exported in jpeg): in that case anyway you save it there will still be...

05-21-2003 04:58

Posted by:
puffin

i'm working in a vector based application, so there aren't any of those bits of color in the originals. somthing is happening either when i export it to photoshop or when i put it into tntbasic.

05-21-2003 22:30

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I use Photoshop too. Be very careful with photoshop. It's used to make printable documents, so it uses all kinds of smoothing options.

You should always save in PICT because there is no data loss.

If you are using color masks:

1- Flatten your docuement, select any color, take the fill tool, set tolerance to 0 and then click around where is the mask color and see if any anti-alias option caused you any trouble.

If you are using gray masks:

1- Try to copy and paste them directly. NEVER use indexed color, or pixels will appear all around the corners of the image.

Anyway sprites are much easier to make in Photoshop if you have SabdWater's make opaque filter, wich deletes any anti-alias or transpareancy in the layer.