< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-07-2003 11:19

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Hi,
Is there a way of importing maps into the Genesis editor from a pict resource 'as is' without them being staggered? Also, have you considered including a function in the preferences, or a check box, to switch between these two states as this method does not always suit some types of level map, for example, if someone wanted to make a level with a maze and already had the layout fine in the pict resource.
I have thought of using the load images command to achieve this instead, but I will need collision detection between the sprite and other areas, such as walls, on the image itself, this is not a problem when I use the maps. has anyone else found this a problem?

thanks in advance for any infomation on this,
Mark_667

05-07-2003 19:50

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hmm... I'm not sure I follow you. You can't turn a picture into a map in Genesis. You can use a picture to define the tiles that you use to build your map, but that's all. If someone designs a map in a paint package, they'll need to redo it in Genesis if you want it as a map.

To do this, you'd take your drawn map, and cut out all the unique tiles and place them into another image. Use this image as your tile picture in genesis, and it will automatically cut it up into tiles. Genesis chooses a default size of the tiles of something like 32x32 (or some other sensisble default). If this doesn't match the size of your tiles then the tiles in the tile window will appear all funny, possibly giving the appearance of being staggered. You'd fix this by changing the tile size in Genesis to match the size of the tiles in your tile picture resource. When then two match you will see all your tiles listed in the tile window. You can then paint your map with them and load it into TNT Basic.

Hope this helps,

Mark

05-09-2003 10:53

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Solved!

Hi,
After some experimentation, I found out that the problem can be bypassed by using the set map dimensions option. If you increase the tile size, from the default of 16, now more detail is fitted onto each tile, then, using the helpfully numbered tiles in the floating tile window you can paint them straight in to the map in sequence and they will appear as the original picture.
However, if you are using this method, be aware that the tiles in the tile window carry on on the same line regardless of where they came from in the picture originally, so you will need to count how many tiles you can fit on to one line in the map before you start on the tiles for the next horizontal line in your picture to get it right.

thanks for the help,
Mark_667