undo
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-30-2003 17:28

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

i just ran into this problem. when you try to undo through a lot of stuff, the text gets messed up, almost as if bits of whatever it is you've undone remain. and another thing, i think there should be the option to turn off the automatic saving everytime you run a program. it's a good thing most of the time, but i'd like to be able to turn it off.

05-02-2003 23:39

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hmm... Can you send me the steps to reproduce the undo bug, it seems to work fine for me.

What does everyone else think of the automatic saving? I'll point out now that some changes, such as deleting/adding/renaming resources are immediate and don't have a save step. Remember also that you can't switch from the code tab without deciding whether to save your code or not so trying to keep the last saved version in a executable state whilst you're making changes is a lot harder than simply not saving the code if you choose run when you've got the code pane up.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

05-03-2003 10:10

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

non auto-save option

About that optional non saving when run, I think it' s useless. You can simply do a backup copy of the code before, since you know you are doing something risky.
Instead, it happened to me once that I selected a load of images (while I was thinking only one!) and deleted them... oohhh... that was not nice ;-) but I' m so cool I do a lot of backup copies ;-)
I really don' t blame TNT for that.

So I think how it is now is ok, although I maybe would like an (optional?) automatic save when you switch from code to graphics and vice-versa, gets annoying after a while.

More, it is clear that deleting a "picture" is a bigger change than deleting an image in a sprite bank (you can easilly get it back from the picts), so if the picts are saved automatically, why not the image banks?

05-03-2003 17:07

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

We'll probably add an auto backup option in the near future, where Hieroglyph makes a backup of any file you open until you quit. At least that way you can easily go back to before you started your current edit session.

The deleting pictures v deleting images in a bank is a bit inconsistant, but it's because deleting a picture is removing a resource from your project file, whereas deleting an image is just editing an image bank resource in the file. It's like the difference between deleting a file and editing a file that contains a list of pictures.

The editing side of things will improve over time as TNT Basic evolves.

Cheers,

Mark

05-03-2003 17:37

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

the undo bug comes up when i use cmd-z to undo a few times.

05-04-2003 01:56

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

The undo bug is a little inconsistent - doesn't happen very often to me, but it has happened enough to be annoying.

From memory, it seems to have happened to me when I had a lot to undo and I just kept Cmd Z held down. The first couple of undos work but then we get into the Twilight Zone.

Mark