VBL Sync
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-18-2001 20:17

Posted by:
Tony Rose

Click Here to Email Tony Rose   Find more posts by Tony Rose

IS there a way to make the Set Framerate command work with VBL Sync off? The reason I ask is,VBL Sync seems to hurt my FPS quite a bit but if I turn it off my Set Framerate 60 command does not work and the game goes way to fast at times.

12-18-2001 20:23

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

That's odd, it is supposed to work fine with VBL sync off. Are you using a CRT monitor or an LCD screen?

Also, are you sure that your game running fast isn't simply your game running at 60 frames per second - because that can appear rather fast for some games!

You can test this by setting a lower framerate (also with vbl sync off) or by choosing "Show Framerate" from TNT Basic's menus to see the true framerate.

If it definitely is broke, we'll look into it and get it fixed.

Thanks!

12-18-2001 23:05

Posted by:
Tony Rose

Click Here to Email Tony Rose   Find more posts by Tony Rose

Yep..

I am using a CRT monitor and yes,it is running over 60 fps. With Vsync off and Set Framerate 60 the game hits over 400fps when not scrolling. Oh and thats another question I have. Why does scrolling,even at a slow speed,cause such a performance hit. When the screen is scrolling in my program I get around 45-55 FPS but when it stops itl break 400fps.
Thanks for your fast response!

12-19-2001 09:42

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Hi Tony,

The performance hit when scrolling is simply because more data is getting moved around.

When the screen is not scrolling, we only copy the changed areas to screen, such as the sprites. When it is scrolling we have to do the entire screen, which is significantly larger amount of data - hence the performance hit.

You might have found a problem with the set framerate command, we'll look into that for you.

Cheers

Mark

01-23-2002 17:47

Posted by:
Tony Rose

Find more posts by Tony Rose

Fixed

I noticed in the latest release this seems to be fixed. Thx!

01-23-2002 23:19

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Fixed in 1.01

Yeah we got that one, thanks for reporting it!

Mark