< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-22-2003 21:24

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Hi,
Is it possible to create a program in TNT that is open-source? To the best of my knowledge this is not currently the case, but is this on your 'to do' list? It would generate more interest in the language and will prompt users to add more features themselves to the game's code, which could then be implemented for everyone in the next version. I know this is commonly done on platforms such as Linux, but is this do-able on the Mac?

Any feedback appreciated,
Mark_667

04-22-2003 21:44

Posted by:
No Frills

Click Here to Email No Frills   Find more posts by No Frills

Open Source

Errrrr..... am I being incredibly stupid here, or to be 'open source' don't you just distribute the program code, and not the compiled code?, then invite others to contribute to it.

Or do you mean you want to join an open-source project that's perhaps already in existance?

04-22-2003 21:47

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Open Source means the code is free for you to download and modify as you wish. Of course, you still need to register (i.e., pay for) TNT Basic.

04-28-2003 08:47

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Hi,
About the above confusion. What I think I had in mind was a real-time compiler, where you can switch between the code and the corresponding on-screen actions. This is common in languages such as VB, but I remember now that this is only possible when only viewing just the project. Even though, it would be nice is you could do this when it is compiled as it could help de-bugging run-time errors as you can see exactly what variable or whatever is responsible. But I'm just getting my jargon mixed up here I think.

thanks anyway,
mark_667

04-28-2003 21:03

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

I think that what he wants is an interactive debugger.

That could be nice. (I have fond memories of tron/troff in applesoft and chipmonk basics. Oh the joys of only knowing where you were when it went buggy.)

05-20-2003 02:39

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

As I understand, it's on the To Do list. The list is just very long. Eventually, but not for a while.

05-20-2003 20:44

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

One day... but not soon I'm afraid, it's a big job.

Mark

05-20-2003 23:52

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

and nobody really cares for it... ; )