Build - maybe not a bug from where you sit
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

03-28-2003 05:38

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Hi - I just had the unenviable experience of rapidly modifying a program (1 line) doing a bulid and putting it out to distribution.

Oh, did I omit test ? Well it was only one line

Stupid - I know - it was stupid - it was really, really stupid - stupendously stupid.

Because the 1 line had an error - but of course the build didn't perform a syntax check the way that I thought it would.

If the potential user base (however small) for my game didn't hate me before then they certainly do now.

The build MUST perform a syntax check in the same way that run does.

03-28-2003 11:09

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

WAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, this surely was hilarious ;-)

03-29-2003 01:14

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Well, it's your job to check programs before distributing them!!! I thought every programmer had been told never to distribute anything not tested!!

03-29-2003 07:58

Posted by:
Machi

Without doubt, I was stupid, stupid, stupid

One more ... stupid

However, my assumption that the build would perform a syntax check was not stupid. I feel that just like every other build / compile process, the syntax check should be built in.

Regardless of my stupidity in this particular example.

stupid

03-29-2003 14:13

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

A syntax check would not be much useful, as it decides whether the code is executable or not, but not if the code does what you want it to do! You should run your project after every modification, and a syntaxt check won't replace that.

03-30-2003 02:20

Posted by:
Machi

Look Matthew - I'm sorry, but you've completely missed the point.

I understand what syntax checking does and what it doesn't do. EVERY tool or language that I have ever used has performed a syntax check as part of the compile or build process. As I mentioned in my earlier post, my lack of testing was foolish, however an assumption that the build would also perform syntax checking wasn't foolsih, just mistaken. Now in the larger scheme of things, this is not a major issue, it only became more of an issue for me because of my other actions. I only mentioned it here - and entitled the thread the way I did, because it may not be a bug but rather a poor design decision. My suggestion - and a suggestion only - is that it is addressed in a future TNT release. While you might not find it useful, and it is not a substiture in any way for appropriate testing regimes, I believe that it is a minor point that should be addressed.

Thankyou

03-30-2003 20:59

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah, we should probably make it do a syntax check before the build,I'll put it on the todo list.

But surely you should test it first anyway? ;p

Mark