< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-21-2003 05:53

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Hi,

I've been trying to include a MIDI loop in my program and, despite trying a number of different MIDI files from different creators, none of them will play. They won't play in either the Music Resource editor in Hieroglyph (the play bar moves along, but nothing happens) or upon execution in TNT Basic. I have tried different combinations of response to the dialogue that comes up when you drop a MIDI file into the editor, but nothing has worked so far.

I would really rather not include an MP3 because of both the size and the patchy playing under OS 9.

Your help would be appreciated.

Mark

02-21-2003 11:12

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Yeah, I had that problem (no midi playing) too on Mac OS 9.
Also, the MIDI importing is BAD.

02-21-2003 11:13

Posted by:
matteo

I forgot to say, if you import the midi on mac os X, then pass it on 9, it works.

02-21-2003 20:49

Posted by:
Machi

(Feeling decidedly gloomy at this point) - Thanks, what do you mean by "pass it" under OS 9 ?

Mark

02-21-2003 23:49

Posted by:
matteo

****HOW TO PASS A FILE TO MAC OS 9****

If you import the midi file under mac os x ,then continue to develop your game under mac os 9 (perhaps building from 9), it works.
I' m probably the only person in the world that did this: I develop on my imac with OS 9 (havent installed X there), then I linked it to my mothers ibook with X, import the MIDI, then passed it back to th imac . That' s how you 'pass' it bac to mac os 9... :-)

So, machi, doing some cool stuff?
I had to avoid putting music on my game "radical rebound" (don' t get it, I' ve released it just too soon, I still have a lot of work to put in it) 'cause: midi importing was too bad for the music I had permission to put (another cool song was ok, but the author did not reply me :-( and
, as you say, mp3 in os 9 go unstable, and on os x slow a lot.

02-22-2003 11:36

Posted by:
Machi

Thanks for that, I'll try it and see, but the whole thing sounds very Twilight Zone.

I'm currently trying to finish my second shareware game to the point of Beta testing. I'd like to think it was pretty cool, I haven't seen anything else that takes the same approach, but -

a) There are plenty of games out there that I haven't seen or played
b) I've been working on this for 6 weeks now and I'm really too close to the project to know if it's potentially a winner and
c) Not being a graphic artist like Danlab, I'm afraid that the quality of the visual design may not be engaging or "competitive" enough

But I've put a lot of work into it. Together with full size graphics (before I shrink them to become sprites), sounds, daily builds and backups of the builds, I am now up to 1.19 GB - yes that's gigabytes - just for this project. I've created 975 different files in Photoshop, and if nobody pays for this game then I think I'll just quit.

I'm currently building a small team to be involved in beta testing under NDA. Would you be interested in participating ? Email me back at machisoft@yahoo.com.au

Regards,
Mark

02-23-2003 19:40

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

MIDI Support

We've had numerous reports that our MIDI support leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry about that, we're going to look at this in the near future.

Meanwhile, there are tracker formats such as MOD and MAD that offer similar advantages and are very well supported by TNT Basic.

Thanks for your patience,

Mark

(PS Good luck with your game!)

04-02-2003 21:14

Posted by:
matteo

MAD, MOD

I' ve searched the web for some mod, mad files, and it looks as MAD are not selectable, and most mod give error...

Despite the fact that I really don' t like Player Pro...

04-03-2003 08:11

Posted by:
matteo

hmm, It' s looks as not even Player Pro opens those files... Sorry for that, odds are it is not your fault...

04-04-2003 23:25

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

take a look at www.chiptune.com and www.modarchive.com .

There you hhave loads of compatible music.

Of course they're not free, but can ask the authors, and they might say yes because they provided these tunes for free download on these websites.

04-05-2003 12:49

Posted by:
matteo

thanks a lot, chiptune is cool!