Resources / Data/ Sprites
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-10-2003 13:51

Posted by:
speedy sam

Click Here to Email speedy sam   Find more posts by speedy sam

Just finding my feet with TNT, so I hope someone can help with a few daft questions.

1) From the resource menu, if I select new resource from the resource menu, a little dialog box appears with a list of types. If I select, say, ‘TEXT’ or some other type other than the current tab, nothing appears to happen.

Just tell me if I am being daft.

2) The data / read statement looks fairly straightforward. But I would expect a RESTORE statement to determine where to start reading from. Should there be a data resource type? Or should separate procedures be defined to separate different data blocks?

3) I can see that sprites can be eliminated using SPRITE OFF. But is there any way of reading the current status of a sprite? In the same way that SPRITE X reads the current x co-ordinate. Is there an equivalent to TEST SPRITE ON that will return a boolean?

Thanks for a great program!

02-10-2003 20:39

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hi there,

1) The other resource types aren't supported by TNT Basic at the moment. You can only use the ones you see in the tabs. The create new resource stuff won't do anything at all in the release of hieroglyph that you all have.

2) We do have a restore statement, however it is poorly documented.

You just do

mydatalabel:
data 10,20,30

restore mydatalabel

int x,y,z
read x,y,z

3) There isn't a function for telling if a sprite is in use or not, but we'll add one for the next release.

Cheers and enjoy TNT Basic!

Mark

02-11-2003 08:05

Posted by:
speedy sam

Thanks.

May I suggest that you have a web page for future features that you have on the to do list?

There are many comments on the forums makings good suggestions for features. E.g. Case statements, OOP commands, bitwise functions, structures, test sprite on/ off ...

You have indicated that features will appear in a future release as they have been put forward. I feel that having a summary of features to come would help clarify the direction of the product.

It doesn't have to be too detailed. Maybe along the lines:

Next Release
Id Type Description
Change 1 Enhancement Title
Change 2 Enhancement Title
Change 3 New feature Title
Change 4 Bug fix Title

Future Release
Id Type Description
Change 1 Enhancement Title
Change 2 Enhancement Title
Change 3 New feature Title

Perhaps it is just an indication of where TNT is in its cycle that while it provides many features beyond conventional BASIC, it lacks some that other languages have as standard.

Developers will be more inclined to invest in a product if they can see how it is going forward. Also, it is a chance for people to comment or shape future features and assist in documenting the porduct.

Anyone think that would help?

02-11-2003 13:54

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Yeah, just two lines on what you are currently working on would be fine.

02-11-2003 14:35

Posted by:
matteo

but...

Anyway I don' t agree on the need of a function "TEST SPRITE ON", it' s just too easy to keep track of the sprites that are "ON" with an array.
You cant expect a language to have all the functions you like, just to avoid you 2 lines of code.

02-11-2003 14:50

Posted by:
speedy sam

TEST SPRITE ON

Sorry, matteo, I disagree.

You are correct in that you could store the information in an array for each sprite that would flag the on/ off status of the sprite.

But the fact is that the sprite status is already stored somewhere so that the draw frame command can do its thing. In the same way as the sprite co-ordinates are already stored and can be retrieved by the sprite x and sprite y commands.

Having to store the same information in two places and ensure they are consistent, doesn't feel right to me.

I think that TEST SPRITE ON would be useful and is consistent with the other sprite information functions.

Hope that is ok with you.

02-11-2003 15:04

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Click Here to Email John Treece-Birch   Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Sprite Active

In the next release there will be a function called "Sprite Active" which takes a sprite number and returns true/false depending on whether or not the sprite exists.

Like matteo says, it isn't necessary but it's not much trouble to add and if it helps tidy people's code up then we might as well add it.

Thanks,
John

02-11-2003 19:34

Posted by:
matteo

Ok, ok...
It' s all OK if there is also the "set mouse x / y" function... ;-)