Eat It!
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-30-2003 02:11

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Since no one seemed to be replying to Matteo's "What are you up to?" thread, I thought I'd let you all in on what I'm currently up to.

I am creating a "remake" of an old obscure Atari 2600 game called "Fast Food" that was created by a now defunct company named "Telesys".
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=173

My version is called "Eat It!". Yes, the name sorta is an homage to Weird Al. And literally when I created the first (Now lost forever.. :-( ) version of Eat It! in Quick Basic on my PC it was a hit with my brother, sister and friends. So when I found TNT Basic I decided I HAD to make the game for real. And so I set to work on it.

It's coming along slowly. I am actually going to rewrite it from scratch since I don't like the mess my code has become, but the main structure is there. It just needs a little more story to it. More game flow.

The game will be LOOSELY based on "Fast Food" in that it will include a bit more.. nay, a LOT more than the Atari version had. But still remain true to the original concept.

I was hoping that I could track down the original creator and maybe work out a deal and but the rights from them and maybe port the original and put it in as sort of a hidden version. But since Telesys is gone and AtariAge.com hasn't seen them I'll probably never find the original maker. Unless I release it and they decide to show themselves.

As soon as I get a server back up and running and I get back into the whole programming mode I'll post a page about it with shots and such.

I just wish I hadn't lost my DOS version which was actually 100% complete. And my Alpha Windows VB version which was further from done than the TNT version is right now.

I even have the title screen graphic finished and am very proud of how it came out.

Ok.. I lied.. Here's some teasers. Keep them in the family.

Title Screen

About

High Score Table

Game in Action

Note the game is NOWHERE near finished. Graphics are not final. I am even thinking of making the game an exclusive 1024x768 or at least 800x600 res game. But only because I'm sick of watching LCD's try and "Scale down" to lower resolutions. PLEASE, Mark, make TNT able to run windowed! PLEASE! SOON! Thanks.

Although.. a high res Eat It! would be pretty cool to look at.. IF I could get some really nice graphics. But that comes last.

01-30-2003 13:28

Posted by:
Brian Jones

Click Here to Email Brian Jones   Find more posts by Brian Jones

Looks great, and I don't want to discourage you, but this game looks a *lot* like a Mac shareware game that came out 6 or 7 years ago called "Munchies." I think the author's name was Michael Fan or something like that.

Anyways, I don't think there's anything you need to do to change it for intellectual property reasons or anything, but in case you wanted to play that older version to see about other new ideas, or maybe change your gameplay a little bit to distinguish your game, I thought I"d let you know.

Brian Jones
midnite.liteman
www.midnite-liteman.com

02-07-2003 23:03

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Thanks for the feedback!

I never heard of Munchies. I'd like to try it and see what it's about. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did the same idea as me.. albeit years before I ever heard of it. LOL.

Anyway.. my version of "Fast Food" would be so much better it wouldn't be much like the original. Except for the float around eating stuff. I'd add many extra features.

BTW, I changed the URLs of my images so for new people coming to see them, here are the new images..

02-09-2003 01:16

Posted by:
macfixation

Click Here to Email macfixation   Find more posts by macfixation

That game looks really promising. I can't wait to play the final.

Interesting premise for a game even if it's an old one... nice to know a version is coming to OS X. (it is...right?)

02-09-2003 09:22

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

There is an old mac clone of that game too, called Munchies I believe.

02-14-2003 02:13

Posted by:
macfixation

Click Here to Email macfixation   Find more posts by macfixation

ERaZeR we know this from an above post. :p

02-15-2003 00:10

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

Opps, must've missed that post!