256 Colors?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-30-2003 01:59

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Why does my game dither to 256 colors? I thought TNT Basic was Thousands or Millions?

I just get paranoid whenever my LCD changes size and depth with that blue flash.

I have another version of the game I'm recoding but it actually seems to be Thousands. But my new one is only 256.

Is there a special Image format that is better recommended to look good? I try GIF's, JPG's and PICT's. But in the one Project it always does 256 colors and looks really bad. And one of the really bad images is all black and white and grey shades! I can count the pixels in the dither pattern!

01-30-2003 19:37

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

wow!

Wow, tell me how you managed to get 256 colours! I want them too! And big blocky pixels, that' s tasty!

02-02-2003 22:34

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

The only thing I can think of is that your graphics were dithered before they went into TNT Basic. We definately only run in 16 bit/thousands (in software mode) or 24 bit (millions) in hardware mode.

It might be possible that your graphics are in millions and then look dithered when displayed in thousands?

All images formats are supported equally well. TNT Basic just gets QuickTime to render them to a canvas before it uses them, they should look exactly the same as they do in your paint package when you open the same file.

Cheers,

Mark

02-08-2003 02:47

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I create them in Photoshop. Save them as either JPG or GIF. (Usually JPG) They all look fine in Preview.app.. They look like crap when displayed in TNT...

02-08-2003 12:49

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

Just a note, GIF is always less or 256 colours. And JPG is tousands of colours(and black and white or something, don't remeber).

02-08-2003 22:43

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Has anyone else seen this?

Jason, can you compress and send me your project and I'll try and figure out what's going wrong.

Cheers,

Mark

03-29-2003 01:20

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

I just got the same. Read it in topic "Sprite priority and grain".