Worth it to use 1024x768 exclusively?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-30-2003 01:50

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I've been thinking seriously about making my game only run at 1024x768.

I want to do this for a few reasons.

First most OS X users have 1024x768 at the least. At least people with fairly new Macs.

Second the graphics could be highly detailed and look beautiful.

Thirdly it won't look like crap like 640x480 is used on a 1024x768 LCD. LCD's do not like resizing the resolution which is why TNT Basic needs either a "Windowed Mode" or "Virtual Resolution" in that like someone recently said you have a game with like 648x480 res in the game but on a higher res it will place black borders around the edges.

The drawbacks though...

Firstly anyone with an older iBook Clamshell or only a small monitor will be shut out.

Secondly LCD's of HIGHER resolutions would still look crappy when scaled up.

Thirdly.. Slow down? Too many big graphics being manipulated, will this slow down significantly?

Or should I just go for a 640x480 res and make the game low detailed? Like everyone else?

I wish I could put more effort into it and provide multiple resolutions depending on the screensize. But that's too much work.

01-30-2003 02:25

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

It probably depends upon whether you're planning on using graphics hardware mode or not. On my computers, hardware mode runs far too slowly at 1024x768 to be useful. However, the only other smaller resolution that is supported by the majority of current and immediately previous Macs is 640x480. Various macs will support 720x480, 800x600, 896x600, 832x624 and so on, but not all computers support all of these resolutions. Now selecting an unsupported resolution within your program is not a problem, because TNT will select the closest resolution to your specification (or is it the next highest ?), but if you are pushing the framerate performance boundaries with your program then I think that you really need to know what is going to be used.

For what it's worth, I have experimented a lot and have ended up with 1024x768 as the resolution that I work at, essentially for the aesthetic reasons that you described. But the trade off is that I don't get to use hardware mode which requires a lot more duplication of sprites at different angles and sizes etc, which in turn equates to a LOT more mucking around in Photoshop etc as well as performance hits in loading more and larger image banks and increasing the overall disk size of the program.

Other TNT developers, such as Danlabs, manage to get a superb look with lower resolutions, but I haven't been happy with my graphics at these resolutions.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

01-30-2003 02:41

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I just tried turning on Hardware Mode and the framerate slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY.

This is an iMac G4 700.

01-30-2003 19:27

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

you need hardware mode if you want rotations and scaling. If you don' t need them software mode is OK, maybe it gets a problem also when scrolling, but I really dont know. More, Hardware mode redraws the entire screen at every frame, so scrolling and many big sprites slow it less than the software mode.
I tell you, it' s difficult to do smooth graphics in high res, and i love 640 *480 for games, it reminds me my mega drive /genesis console... I' d put 400*300 res if I could put it full screen... And please think about us poor iMac owners, we want your game to run smooth! And, any res you put, most compters will have to swich anyway, there are so many resolutions that you' ll never guess the one theire using.

640*480 RULES!!!

02-03-2003 09:33

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

Hardware Mode in 1024*768 will be really slow, and if you are making a scrolling game then that will be slow on normal Graphics Mode too.

05-01-2003 09:29

Posted by:
Freefall

Click Here to Email Freefall   Find more posts by Freefall

Why don't you give the user the ability to choose their own resolution...
Thats what I've always done, most of my games are fully customisable.

05-19-2003 10:28

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Well, here I am programming a simple (Not that simple when you get down to it) Asteroids clone for practice. And even though it's all wireframes and I haven't even added the rocks yet, if I set the resolution to 1024x768 the framerate drops to less thant 10 PFS and it goes really slowly, but if I switch to 640x480, it goes a lot faster but it resized the LCD which looks horrible. I'd still like TNT Basic to have Windowed mode or Virtual Resolution (640x480 screen at 1024x768 or so resolution. In a little box in the center of the screen) because TNT is way to slow to do high resolution games.

Boy is it slow.

05-19-2003 11:08

Posted by:
matteo

10 fps: in hardware mode you mean?

crazy TNT gives me 70 FPS (on os 9 G3 350) in software mode 1024,768 if I have less than 15 sprites, goes to 30 FPS if I have more than 15 sprites!
More, sprites on the higher part of the screen flicker in this res.

05-19-2003 13:28

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

No, I mean 10 FPS in NORMAL mode. You don't WANT to know how slow Hardware mode is. I thought Hardware Mode was supposed to make it go FASTER? This is a 700MHz G4 what's the deal???

And it's only drawing lines! Little lines!

Sure, I'll switch to Sprites when I get the core done, if that'll make it faster, but right now at 1024x768, it sucks.

05-19-2003 13:58

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

>No, I mean 10 FPS in NORMAL mode. You don't WANT to know how slow Hardware
>mode is. I thought Hardware Mode was supposed to make it go FASTER? This is a
>700MHz G4 what's the deal???
>
>And it's only drawing lines! Little lines!
>
>Sure, I'll switch to Sprites when I get the core done, if that'll make it faster, but
>right now at 1024x768, it sucks.

Hardware mode does not make it faster. It uses more colours, and more mask colours. It supports rotation, scaling and flip. It slows down.

05-19-2003 16:53

Posted by:
matteo

oh, yeah, in drawing points and lines TNT is VERY slow. For sprites it' s faster

05-20-2003 09:38

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I guess I'll have to switch to Sprites when I get the engine done. I was hoping for that Retro Arcade Vector look. Everything generated with lines and circles and text.