G4 Optimisation ?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-27-2003 22:33

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Hi - Does, or will, TNT Basic take advantage of Altivec on the G4 ?

01-29-2003 22:55

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

It doesn't currently, but it will do if I ever get a G4 to program on....

(keep the registrations coming ;)

Mark

01-29-2003 23:50

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

nice one...

01-30-2003 02:31

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

hmmm, what language and IDE are you programming TNT in ? Maybe all you need are some people with G4s to assist with testing.

02-02-2003 22:31

Posted by:
Mark Tully

G4

I personally would fine it incredibly difficult to code G4 optimisations unless I had a G4 infront of me - can you imagine the correspondance otherwise -

"Here's a new version of TNT Basic with G4 optimisations - can you try it for me?"
"I tried it, all the graphics were weird"
"Err.. ok, what was weired about them?"
"All the colours were wrong"
"Hmm... try this version"
"No that doesn't work at all"
"Ok what about this one?"
"Have you had chance to try it yet?"
"Hello?"

You can imagine the same situation if you couldn't run your TNT Basic programs but needed to wait for an email response to see if they worked. I'd also want to collect details speed comparisons which I would have to do myself as it would require many many runs of TNT Basic under identical circumstances.

I'll do it when/if I ever get a G4.

Cheers,

Mark

03-29-2003 02:49

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Get an accelerator card maybe?

03-30-2003 21:07

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Accelerator card? As in swap my G3 for a G4? I don't even know if you can do that with iMacs, but even if you can, I'd rather just get the whole lot new and together. Your machines only as fast as it's slowest component, be that CPU, memory, bus or graphics card. So upgrading the processor without the rest means it's not running at full speed - better to get the whole lot together in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

04-04-2003 20:58

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

Cheapest G4...?

The eMac is a G4 IIRC, and right about $1000.

(Gonna be my next desktop computer purchase.)

04-05-2003 09:09

Posted by:
Mark Tully

OK, do you want my postal address? ;)

Yeah, I'll probably upgrade my iMac sometime this year. I haven't decided between an swivel iMac and a G4... Hmmm... choices choices....

Mark

04-05-2003 17:29

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

FWIW, I got the flat screen G4 Imac and it rocks. I almost got the EMac at the Apple Store, but the rep told me he'd seen a couple w/ "video problems."

04-27-2003 05:23

Posted by:
Freefall

Click Here to Email Freefall   Find more posts by Freefall

Yeah the GF2 video cards fail 70% of the time in eMacs. I had to send mine in to be replaced, where for some reason they also took it upon themselves to format my drive.

Weirdos.

05-22-2003 05:53

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

got a 700 MHz G4 iMac. It would be nice to have optimization.

What model iMac are you using? If it's really early (Tray loader first generation) they made cards for it. If not, you're screwed. Hope you are able to get one soon.

BTW. When is the next version due? It's been 1.12 for a long time.

How about the "bug" where objects shift around and windows resize when the resolution changes in TNT Basic?

I know it's TNT's fault because no other game or application I have does this. It's the worst with Konfabulator Widgets. Sometimes they run off screen. Last thing I need is someone downloading my game then badmouthing it because they can't find their Battery Monitor or iTunes Remote. Hope it's top priority. Along with Virtual Resolutions so instead of switching the resolution, especially on LCD's it just shrinks the display and puts a black border around it. Or Windowed mode. I want Windowed Mode!

Put all this stuff in an optional Launch Time Dialog box that we set up that allows for stuff such as choosing a resolution (If our game allows it) and either running Windowed mode, Full screen Mode or Fullscreen No Res Change mode. These are critical. Especially the Windowed Mode. Especially when you implement Breakpoints and stuff like that so we can watch the code as we play. Makes debugging so much easier.

05-22-2003 21:46

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

If ever you decide to support G4s, please don't forget G3s! I can't afford a new computer now. In fact, if I had enough money, I'd already have VisualBasic or C !!!

05-27-2003 22:35

Posted by:
Mark Tully

It's not us - honest!

How about the "bug" where objects shift around and windows resize when the resolution changes in TNT Basic?

I take it you're talking about Mac OS 9? The icon shuffling is a bug in the Mac OS 9 Finder, upgrade to Mac OS X. It's pretty crap and it only seems to affect certain systems, I've not figured out what the exact criteria is, but it never seems to happen on my OS 9. Maybe I just don't have enough icons or something?

TNT Basic is not allowed to and cannot move other applications' windows around, that is the OS moving the windows around to fit them onscreen, it's then up to the application who owns the windows to move them back. This is a pretty bum deal but TNT Basic can't do anything about it as it has no way of finding out and resetting window positions for other apps. Hieroglyph does it for its own windows though.

You say you've seen games that avoid this - are they Mac OS 9 only? I have a feeling that it might be avoidable under Mac OS 9 by not yielding any CPU time to any other processes including the system once you start running - then it doesn't get chance to move any windows before you switch back. This won't work under OS X as it's a multitasking operating system. If you've seen a game under OS X that runs in the same res without moving windows then I'll try and find out how they did it!

Cheers,

Mark

05-29-2003 09:18

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Nope. OS X. But it's mainly Konfabulator Widgets. And a lot of apps resize their windows automatically like Safari and IE and Mail. (Mail's the worst one.) And iTunes moves to the top corner. It's annoying.

I temporarily bypassed it by hardcoding the Widgets locations on screen so they move back, but it's still annoying.

05-29-2003 09:20

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

And yes, TNT is the only app that affects windows and Widgets. Nothing else I run moves stuff around.

Find out what they do right and impliment it. I'm all ferjiggered. (My new word. Used it twice so far!)

SNES9x for one. Candy Crisis for two.

05-29-2003 21:14

Posted by:
Mark Tully

I've noted it on our bug list and will look into it when I get chance.

Cheers,

Mark

05-29-2003 21:28

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

just to use TNT, I' m gettin used to have my desktop in complete and permanent chaos, often with all my 50 desktop icons in a 64*64 square on the desktop...

05-29-2003 23:45

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

You say the desktop bug is a Finder bug? Then how happens I had never seen this before when I opened TNT? TNT really seems to be the ONLY app to do this.

05-31-2003 07:06

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I don't know what other apps do to preserve window sizes and item locations when temorarily switching to a smaller resolution. I bet it's a documented API call in OS X that you could find somewhere. Or maybe ask the people who coded SNES9x and Candy Crisis. (Which I believe are the same people.)

It's just an annoyance right now. Now that I hard coded the Widget locations, I don't have that problem anymore, but window sizes in apps such as IE and Safari (I use IE for the Help System, because OS X's Help App sucks so much and doesn't work half the time with your Help file. IE works fine and is faster.) get squished annoyingly when I do a lot of testing.