Best tool?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-23-2002 08:48

Posted by:
Davincho

Click Here to Email Davincho   Find more posts by Davincho

OK...I neen some advise in order to select my "definitive" developer tool for my game. My game is a pseudo "real-time" strategic game. I need move one platoon over the map using the mouse. The path (for the soldier) will make clicking in the map and registering the N points. By example, the soldier A move to point x=(10, 10) to y=(10, 20) and to z=(20, 10). Now the sodier A begin to move arround the line from x to y to z. Now i can make other path (at same time) for other soldier B or the same A...

I thinking in (of course) TNTbasic, REALbasic and Cocoa-Java for develop my game...

My question: Which is the "best" tool? Opinions?

TNTBasic: This have a excellent map, graphics and sound manager, but the codification is "some" poor (in my opinion), by example, i need structures or similiar for make more readable the complex code.
REALbasic: This is very powerfull using classes and OOP but i need manage all resources (not trivial).
Cocoa-Java: Same that REALbasic (but my first language is Java and i'm confortable with this) and cocoa is the best framework.

Thanks in advance!...and Happy Christmas for All!
Regards!

01-13-2003 22:54

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

It sounds like this will be tile based. If so, TNT is a formidable choice. I work in Cocoa as well as TNT and I have yet to find something that can come close to how easy TNT can build tile/sprite based games. Right now I'm working in OpenGL and finding it a great deal of overkill for what I want to do.

I even have some great tiles that I released for free that could suite you well if you want to use them during the first stages of building your game (Instead of quickly made programmer art! Yikes). The tiles are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/seascapesoftware/basicallyreal/html/graphics.html

click Raptor tiles.

Cheers,
Holmes

01-13-2003 23:25

Posted by:
Davincho

Click Here to Email Davincho   Find more posts by Davincho

Very nice sprites and (raptor) game! Great work!!!!

Thanks Holmes!!
Regards

01-15-2003 15:01

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

I'm glad the game actually worked for you...

Quicktime 6.1 breaks it, and some versions of 10.2 make input not work for people.