**1- Windows compatibility
**2- 3D worlds

01-08-2003 01:45

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

The Need For Speeeeeeeeeeed

I think almost exactly this way.
TNT is perfect for beginners. The problem is that with TNT you wont stay beginner for long, you' ll start soon to want more sprites, more speed. (we never have enough!)
So I think your major point should be speed.
I dont know much about how your program works but I' m sure that speed, even for a beginner (such as me) becomes important very soon.
This stuff:

Object orientated extensions (classes, structures)
Removal of the 16Mb file size limit
Windows compatibility
3D support
and of course...
Debugger

Can wait, for me. I like 2 D, you probably should specialize, I don' t need object orientated extensions
(hey, I' m a Beginner, I don' t know even what they are!), I barely need procedures, I think you can make a great game with less than 16 MB (And am rather annoyed by bigger games, if they' re not truly ecceptional), Windows would be cool but can wait, debugger too but...
I want more power. Now TNT' s speed has been enough for my first games. But I feel a little limited. Infact, I have limits to what I can do. Sure, you can make really great games with what you have, but not everything. Problems with big sprites and drawing.

This is surely not to criticize. It' s just to tell you, if you can do anything for speed (if you cant, I' m sorry to have bothered you), it should be always your main point, until you get to move n enormous sprites at 60 FPS. 640*480 is OK for me, since macs support it...

What about "Meta compiler" (whatever it is), could that help?

Thanks
Matteo

01-08-2003 10:59

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Possible improvements

Hi,
Thought I'd include my little wish list for the next version:

1. A debugger feature that allows you to check for errors in individual procedures using a menu the same as the one for procedures at the bottom of the window. This may be good for a code with a lot of errors, or if you want to skip to one particular one.
2. A menu item that allows you to ignore selected code by putting a apostrophie at the beginning of each line selected. This would allow people to test how pieces of code may work withouta large code item there.
3. A function similar to the ' Now() ' function in VB where you can import the current date and time.
4. I'll jump on the bandwagon now and ask for a window function.
5. Menuinity.
6. The ability to select lines of code and only execute these, but in a separate moveable window, this could or could not be part of a run time compiler.
7. And last but not least better 3D animation support. To really be classed as a game maker hat can do more than a few simple card games TNT programmers are going to want this sooner or later. This may also be a point to improve the speeds, if necessary, although they are actually pretty good now.

01-08-2003 18:06

Posted by:
matteo

The Need for Speeeeeeeeeeed 2

Take a game such as Bang On! Nice engine, cool gameplay, just put a few more levels and your game is done... What' s the problem? Try to edit the maps and put something as 4 big balls, the game slows much and goes down to to 30 FPS. Now that aint bad, but if it could stay at 60 it would be great. (Ok, I should by a Titanium G4 :-)

01-17-2003 14:18

Posted by:
matteo

Another cool thing

Another cool thing, sure easy to do but I don' t know if long, would be a kind of automatic thing that when you write "if" or "repeat" or similar, automatically pushes your code to the right, and when "end if " or "until" or similar to the left. To avoid problems better keep it optional.

Another maybe more important thing is a way to call procedures (from a list somewhere).
Really I can' t find much of a sense in procedures without it.

But these are just minor improovements.
What we need is a metacompiler or anything for speed.

01-25-2003 20:25

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Hey!!!

Hey! I just found out why TNT has a limitted speed: because it does not compile! I is not like hypercard, where the player comes seperatly. When you think it's compilling, in fact TNT is just shoving your resources INTO a player.

For those who didn't understand, look at this example:

When you launch a game REALLY compiled, the computer receives those messages:

-Hide the cursor
-Darken the screen
-Show a sprite
-etc.

As in TNT it just does:

-Open the code
-Read the first line
-if the first line is Hide Cursor then Hide the cursor
-if the first line is Fade Down then Darken the screen
-and so it goes on

as you can see this is much slower, though I don't know if it is actually accessible for TNT's developpers.

-------------

Forget about Object-oriented commands . I just started learning how to do Object-Oriented programming and I just realised a language IS or IS NOT object. You can't insert features.

------------

I would LOVE to have a TAB option ( spaces when you enter statements )

01-26-2003 22:47

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I've replied to Matthew's post 'Hey!!' in the 'Beyond Basic' forum, as it was getting a bit .... well ... beyond basic really!

See:
http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=481

Cheers,

Mark

01-27-2003 09:00

Posted by:
mark_667

Click Here to Email mark_667   Find more posts by mark_667

Re: 3D MOAN?

Hi,
Quite impressed by the moan feature, but how about using it to record 3D movement patterns, you could use the mouse for the normal x and y and hold down the shift key for the z axis, with shift and z going back? (Or something similar). This could really improve the 3D capabilities of TNT instead of setting lots of variables for 'camera' functions, you can just use the one pre-recorded set and copy and paste it into your code.

Anyone else got an idea on this?

01-29-2003 22:31

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

3D moan

The moan recorder was just a quick example to show what could be done with moan, there's no reason at all why moan can't do what you're saying right now, all it would take was some minor changes to the moan recorder program.

Cheers,

Mark