error messages
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-18-2002 13:26

Posted by:
jamie

Find more posts by jamie

I'm getting a couple reports of error messages from Penguin Power! and was looking for any insight someone might have.

Message one:
*** Runtime exception caught *** Line# : 1399 Code : int fp=open file("ppsave",true,"TEXT","Text") Error : Could not open file.

I think I can figure this one out, something wrong with my save game file...

Message two:
"*** malloc[710]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xffffffff; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug"

This one I have no idea what it means...

Thanks.

11-18-2002 20:47

Posted by:

Find more posts by

system 10.2.2

the second message above comes from a user who is running system 10.2.2. With that being so new, is TNT Basic incompatable?

I have not upgraded yet, has anyone else?

11-18-2002 22:36

Posted by:
Patrick

Click Here to Email Patrick   Find more posts by Patrick

malloc() is the C function to allocate memory. At some point in the TNT code it's attempting to delete unallocated RAM( bad! ) This is likely a problem with the TNT coding I believe, not with your game.

Just a guess from a mediocre C/C++ programmer...

11-19-2002 21:37

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

malloc

You're right Patrick, it's not something that Penguin Power will be doing wrong, it will be a bug with either TNT Basic or OS X. However it's impossible to track down without a lot more information.

Could you try and get some more information for me Jamie, like how to get it to happen, or what version of OS X the error happens on and info like that?

If you can get us a reproducable case we should be able to fix it.

Cheers,

Mark

11-20-2002 01:54

Posted by:
jamie

Find more posts by jamie

error message

Mark, the info came from a review left on versiontracker, here is the whole post.

Worse than the earlier beta on the website.. This version doesn't work at all! No music, no movement. Freezes up completely at the initial opening of the first level before one move can be made on an imac G4 under 10.2.2.. Console reports: "*** malloc[710]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xffffffff; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug"

The post is by "Xapplimatic", I'm going to see if I can get in contact with him...