11-01-2002 23:20

Posted by:
Mathew

Find more posts by Mathew

I just started a new game in harware mode, using nothing more than this:

while not mouse button
sprite 1,mouse x,mouse y,0
wend

TNT could not draw this faster than 4 frames per second!!!!!!

Don't say it's OpenGL's fault, I have other games using OpenGL with 50 times more sprites, including transparency and rotation for EACH sprite that runs 25 frames per second!

TNT is definitivly SLOW!

11-02-2002 01:16

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

Geforce?

Are you using Geforce 3 card? I got a report from a user that his Geforce 3 system ran my game around 5 times slower than it should have ran.

11-02-2002 12:47

Posted by:
ERaZer

Find more posts by ERaZer

Its a bit weird with Hardware mode, I cannot get more then 25 fps whatever I do... But it usually stays at 25 fps even when I add pretty many sprites and stuff, its only when I add hundreds that scale it goes under 25 fps...

11-02-2002 20:57

Posted by:
Mathew

It got 12 frames per second when I turn VBL sync off, but TNT is slow anyway, and a bit buggy. I tried to create a scrolling game, I wrote as usual open canvas, draw map section and open viewport.

The first time it did not crash but there was no map on the screen.
The second time the screen stayed black but I could quit.
The third time my computer froze before I even entered in Hardware mode.
The fourth time the screen stayed black and I couldn't quit.

ALL THIS WITH THE SAME CODE!!!!

I think you should work on it.

11-02-2002 21:01

Posted by:
Tony Rose

Find more posts by Tony Rose

Maybe...

It could be your system? I am on a iMacDV 400 w/ 8mb vid RAM and I get the same 25fps OpenGL results soooo... Either a bug or your one of those errr,how can i see it nicely,"Performance Challenged" people who tends to mess with more than they should on their computer.

11-03-2002 13:57

Posted by:
Mathew

I can't figure out why I'm getting so much trouble with TNT. I've been using several software and TNT's the only one who caused me some problems.

Anyway, the map viewports are working, but the image is distorted. I guess you could fix it easily cause you fixed the problem for classic canvas.

11-05-2002 11:09

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Slow Hardware Mode

Some of the slowness may be caused by the fact that we use 24-bit colour to render everything. Some older cards have trouble with this I think, I'll add a 16-bit mode.

However, I've had a few bug reports claiming that they get slow down on geForce 3 machines as well so there must be something that causes slowdown on certain machines. I'll have a look into this because it seems to be a pretty serious bug.

Thanks,
John

11-11-2002 23:33

Posted by:
Mathew

This is not a bug with my computer, I guess. TNT is slow with maths in general. Getting a speed comparable to better programming software would be a great improvement to TNT basic.

12-19-2002 04:38

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

I've tried with four different macs, with different graphics cards - upto a reasonably recent Titanium powerbook. All using OSX 10.2.2.

The maximum rate that I could get on any of them under hardware mode was around 15fps. Meant I had to abandon hardware mode in my program.

12-19-2002 09:35

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Click Here to Email John Treece-Birch   Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Hardware Mode

What resolution are you using?

Hardware Mode redraws the entire screen every frame. Obviously this is slower when you are only moving a few sprites around but it works out faster if you are moving lots of sprites around and scrolling (which is what Hardware Mode was intended for).

If you are using a higher resolution then TNT Basic will have trouble redrawing the entire screen quickly.

Thanks,
John

12-24-2002 05:37

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Hi John - using the little test that Matthew published above, I came up with these non-scientific results on an upgraded B&W G3 (550mhz G4) with a 16mb ATI 128 card and 448MB RAM

640 * 480 around 27fps
800 * 600 around 18fps
832 * 624 around 17fps
1024 * 768 around 12fps
1152 * 870 around 10 fps
1280 * 1024 around 7 fps

Now these figures were taken without shutting down the 10 or so other applications, but the figures given were also not the initial figures, which were much lower, but the average of what i got after letting it run for 15 seconds or so.

01-14-2003 00:15

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Drawing operations

Sprites are still ok, but drawing operations are very slow. By the way, somebody knows what is a MetaCompiler?