Bugs in my game
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-28-2002 23:42

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

I released a beta of my game Raptor to versiontracker.com, and the people there reviewing it have been less than extatic due to some bugs. These bugs aren't present on my system so I think they have something to do with TNT.

My game runs in hardware mode BTW.

One person's mouse didn't reapear after the loading screen. He was on a Tibook 550mhz.

One person, with a 733mhz G4, and Geforce 3, experiences framerates about 1/5 of what I get on my 667mhz powerbook. Is hardware support not good on Geforce systems or something?

On two reviewers computers, the controls didn't do anything. One tried turning both the capslock and numlock keys on and off to no avail. He was on a G4 867mhz running OSX 10.2.1. One of the two who's controls did nothing commented that the escape key still worked so he was able to quit.

To see their comments in original context, go here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16754&;showRatings=&db=macosx

10-29-2002 09:43

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Bugs!!!

I'd say most of those reviews seem pretty ecstatic!!! :)

I'm sorry to say but I have no idea what that mouse problem could be. We've never seen that or had any reports of it until then. TNT Basic has been tested on some TiBooks and it seemed to work fine.

Hardware support just uses OpenGL to draw it's graphics. I've never tried it on a geForce card because no one I knows has one but I fail to see why a card that fast would possibly be slower. I'll start looking into it.

What do you use for Input? Do you use functions like Pressed and Left, Right, Up, Down or do you use Poll Input?

Thanks,
John

10-29-2002 15:34

Posted by:
Holmes

Input

I use functions like if pressed left, if pressed right, ect.

By the way, i just checked back, and I have almost 1000 downloads from versiontracker.com! Wow!

10-29-2002 16:04

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Bugs

Well since you're using the OS X compatible system functions I have no idea what the problem could be with input not working on certain machines.

I seem to remember it was TiBooks that were having the problem though so I'll start seeing if I can reproduce it.

1000 downloads is pretty good going. Any plans on improving it or are you thinking about a different project next?

Thanks for the reports,
John

10-29-2002 17:35

Posted by:
Holmes

Next game

I'm going to get it up to 1.0, then I'm going to ditch it for a while. I've already accomplished way more with it then I ever set out to do. Originally I was just trying to teach myself TNT basic with Raptor! Now its a full featured game...

My next game is going to be called Cold War. The plot is that you're a kid living in an average US neighborhood. Its winter and snow is piled everywhere. Then suddenly, out of nowhere comes an army of Stalinist kids (with stereotypical communist russian army dress), pelting everyone with snowballs. Its going to be team based snowball combat where you can build forts and make attacks. Its also going to have multiplayer capabilities.

10-30-2002 04:24

Posted by:
Holmes

Nother case of the input not work bug

When compiled using TNT basic 1.1, the input worked for this person. When compiled using TNT basic 1.1.1 and running a newer version of my game, this resulted:

"WTF!?! I can't play at all, the game doesn't respond to my keyboard...it's an Apple Pro keyboard, original and all...should work... "

-Some poor guy

This is pretty serious and NEEDS to get fixed.

10-30-2002 09:53

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Input bug

I've been trying to look for this problem this morning but I can't get it to happen on my machine. I have an Apple Pro Keyboard as well and everything works fine.

We didn't change any input commands between 1.1 and 1.1.1 so I can't think why that would make any difference.

I take it that it works fine on your machine all the time as well. Do you know what kind of machine these people are running? And what OS?

Anyway, I'll keep looking into it but I currently don't have any ideas.

Thanks,
John

10-30-2002 14:20

Posted by:
Holmes

Guys system

"I used the top system in my sig...
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz, 768Mb, 40Gb, CD-RW, OSX 10.2

Escape worked, and so did the commands like cmd+R, but the in-game keys didn't "

10-31-2002 04:45

Posted by:
Holmes

INPUT BUG

I think I may have dug up a clue to the input problem from the reports of beta users:

Keyboard bug present:
G4 867 running 10.2.1
"Quicksilver" G4 733 10.2
Dual 533mhz G4 10.2.1

Keyboard bug not present:
Powerbook G4 667mhz 10.2.1
Powerbook G4 550 (didn't tell OS)
iMac G4 800mhz 10.1.5
iMac G3 400mhz 10.2

I've noticed the bug seems to only be present on users of G4 towers. I have no idea why this would be, but its worth looking into I think.

03-21-2003 10:40

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Hi - looks like I'm digging up a few bugs nowadays. :-(

I've just had the same problem with detecting keys pressed on my Ti 550 Mhz Powerbook.

I realise that Holmes raised this some time ago, Did we get to the bottom of the problem ?

Please say yes.

I was literally just about to put a new game out onto the net when I thought that I'd do a last test on the powerbook - all of the development had been done on other machines. All of the machines are running identical versions of OS and TNT.

It has quite literally made me feel ill.

The problem is experienced under OS X 10.2.4, TNT 1.12 and the snippet of code given below shows what I'm doing in the program.

-------- code follows --------
if pressed(12) = true
endthegame()
end if

if pressed(49) = true
copy canvas 2 to 0
draw frame
dropaspr()
end if

-------- code ends --------

This problem does not occur under OS 9 or Classic (but see my next bug post for what happens there)

03-23-2003 20:32

Posted by:
Pat

Click Here to Email Pat   Find more posts by Pat

I think that this input bug results of a bug in the system function GetKeys() under some versions of Mac OS X. It's usually fixed by logging out and in. Since it's an Apple bug, there's not much that the TNT guys can do about it.

tnt basic guys: Perhaps you could catch carbon key events and then create your own array of 128 booleans to keep an eye on keys? This is similar to the way that GetKeys()-like functionality is got in Cocoa games and should work around this bug.

03-24-2003 22:06

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Yeah, looks like that's what we'll have to try.

The GetKeys bug has been in OS X for a couple of updates now and still hasn't been fixed. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but I've never seen it on either of my macs (iMac DV/SE and PowerBook G3/500).

Cheers,

Mark

03-25-2003 11:59

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

Ok guys, thanks - I've just had to put a warning into the Read Me since the whole game is dependent upon the "pressed" working.

Let's hope not too many people want my scalp.

Any ideas about my other bug ("Graphics not handled etc")?