Real Windows
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

09-08-2002 01:06

Posted by:
eLL

Click Here to Email eLL   Find more posts by eLL

I've pestered TNT about real interfacce objects b4 but i've come to the conclusion that
i can fake the rest and that
the only real thing that matters are windows
How about the ability to run games in a real, movable, configurable(modal/global/collapsable/window)(s)
and the ability to route separate input types to different windows,

maybe only software and text mode would be available to me but that's fine.

09-08-2002 16:54

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Windows

Most games, in fact nearly all of them that I can think of right now, don't use separate mac os windows, but tend to take over the screen and divide their screen into separate sections or sub-windows (ie have only one 'real' window, but divide it up).

What type of support do you want from TNT Basic, do you want us to make it easier to divide the screen up into separate windows which have individual clipping rgns, or do you want full mac os window support where you can send windows to the front/back, move them around, close them etc under mouse and menu control.

Describe to me the game you're envisaging.

Thanks,

Mark

09-08-2002 19:56

Posted by:
eLL

I'm envisaging...

I mean full window support. window hiding, balloon help, Types(modal,global,collapsible)
as for the game(s) i see in my future.

I like to build diversion games, something in a small window that wouldn't take up much space. and doesn't need a lot of ram. Similar to many GB titles.(tetris,tennis,Mario,Space Invaders, Bomberman, Zelda, turnbased strategy/tactical/classic RPG).

And when it comes to games like these they don't really warrant gobbling up all your attention, and time I realize this is a console wuality tool, but i also realize i'm not running a platform/dedicated console (at least not yet, *maniacal laughter*).

My big concern when having to switch between my game and back to my desktop
no, not resolution switching, but whether or not it is a mechanically demanding on the system as it appears visually?

It's just appears much smoother when double clicking the collapse box, or dragging the window out the way.

How're the loading times in TNT, for let's say a large 5000x5000 world map?
also if i wanted to build in a "refreshment" sequence in which the games: fades to black,drop out to text mode(to clear the memory cache) and then reload the previous canvas and resume gamplay...let's say i did this everytime the player chose to rest in the game,pause, or when switching bitmaps?

09-10-2002 19:21

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Well we currently haven't got any plans for supporting dialogs etc. It would be a lot of work and a large departure from how TNT Basic works at the moment, but if there's sufficient demand for it we'll do it.

We'll get 'window mode' going soon, where the game just plays in a window and pauses when switched to the background, but that won't allow you to create multiple windows or move them around but it's a step in the right direction I guess.

Thanks

Mark

09-11-2002 15:15

Posted by:
Danlab games

Click Here to Email Danlab games   Find more posts by Danlab games

this is a great news.. a lot of persons asked me to put Owari in window mode..

09-11-2002 17:38

Posted by:
eLL

Good to know

Just what i needed, that window mode will be great, thanks.
Don't really need the whole, dialog thing especially now that i can draw the text on the fly, technically i'll be building my own help system, thanks to the prompt response i got in my 'Text on The Fly' thread.