Map Tile Bug
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-27-2002 21:41

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

I'm making a top down scroller that uses really big tiles (128 by 128). Everything worked fine with only a few tiles to select from, but when I started adding more tiles, some tiles began to display as the incorrect tile. Its very weird because all the tiles display correctly in the map editor, but in game some of them are switched around.

Right now I'm putting a water tile in the map editor and I'm getting one of the land tiles in game...Arg!

08-28-2002 06:23

Posted by:
Holmes

After programming a few more hours I've come to the conclusion this bug actually has something to do with resizing the map. So I guess I can work around it. I'll just have to make sure I get the dimensions right the first time.

08-28-2002 08:04

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Big Tiles

Hi,

Is it possible for you to send me your project file so I can look into this bug?

Thanks,
John

08-28-2002 09:24

Posted by:
Holmes

The project file is 5.7MB, do you still want it? Its fine on my end (DSL), but I just wanna verify if its alright on yours.

08-28-2002 10:39

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Project

That's a big project and unfortunately I don't think mail servers like it when you send files that large through. I don't mind downloading it though so you can give it a try if you want.

It will probably be easier if you just tell me how to reproduce the bug. Do I just create a map with 128x128 size tiles and then draw that in a TNT Basic program?

Thanks,
John

08-28-2002 18:15

Posted by:
Holmes

You can try making something like a 10*20 tile map with lots of 128*128 tiles. Then resize the map to something like 10*40, and add more tiles. If it works like it does on my computer, the new added tiles won't display correctly once actually in the game.

08-29-2002 14:23

Posted by:
Mathew

Find more posts by Mathew

Are you in TNT 1.1? You should try in an older version, cause I got tile problems in 1.1 too.

08-30-2002 08:21

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Tile Bug?

I'm having trouble reproducing this bug that you're talking about.

I tried using 128x128 tiles on a 20x20 map, it worked fine. I then changed the map to 26x26 and it still worked fine.

Have you got empty tiles anywhere on your map? These are tiles that show up in the map editor as grey and white squares.

Thanks,
John

08-31-2002 15:52

Posted by:
Holmes

Hmm...

Well, first off my maps are about 10x80, so maybe that makes a difference. There are no empty tiles. The bug I'm getting right now is that the first screen of each map doesn't have the correct tiles in it. In fact the first screen of each map is actually an exact replica of another section of the map farther up (although the objects are not there, just the tiles). After the first screen has scrolled by, however, everything looks correct. Its very bizzare.

I'm using TNT v1.1. I'd try an older version but I'm using some of the hardware features like scaling, and if I'm correct the older versions don't support this. Also I need it to be in hardware mode because software mode doesn't work right on my computer in OSX (Powerbook G4 667mhz).

08-31-2002 16:01

Posted by:
Holmes

Source Code

If you can't reproduce the bug I'm getting I could put the source code (about 10 megabytes from all the graphics though, yikes!) on my iTools account. Tell me if that sounds good.