BIG BUG in TNT1.1!!!!
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-18-2002 00:15

Posted by:
Matthew

Click Here to Email Matthew   Find more posts by Matthew

In TNT v.1.1, when I try to load a file into hieroglyph, it just crashes with an error #3. What's the problem? Do somebody has the same problem?

08-18-2002 10:29

Posted by:
Heiko Hartmann

Click Here to Email Heiko Hartmann   Find more posts by Heiko Hartmann

Working for me...

Hm... didn't have those problems. TNT 1.1 worked fine with all of my old source files.

Do you have something special in the source? Did you try to install 1.1 a second time?

08-18-2002 14:32

Posted by:
Matthew

Find more posts by Matthew

It was NOT mt code, as I tried to create a new game file. It's strange, I can't load any resource (PCT, SND, MUSC) without getting it to crash with an error #3. I DID install it a second time.

08-18-2002 21:35

Posted by:
Joe

Find more posts by Joe

Yeah, I've had that problem aswell. Whenever I try to run something in normal graphics mode, it quits with an error type 3. And whenever I try to use hardware graphics mode, TNT just quits. I don't know why this is. I suppose it could be openGL, or my graphics card. If you are having this problem aswell, then maybe it is more fundamental than I thought...

08-18-2002 23:30

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Teething problems...

Hmm... These seem to be different problems. Matthew cannot load into Hieroglyph, but Joe cannot run a project in TNT Basic (can Joe load the project into Hieroglyph?).

Can you both send me the "Hieroglyph.MAIN" and "TNT Basic.MAIN" files from your "Console" folder inside your "Preferences" folder of your "System Folder" (or your user's "Library" folder on OS X).

This will help me determine a few things about your setups.

Can you accompany these files with the EXACT steps you do to make Hieroglyph or TNT Basic crash. E.g. "I double click on Hieroglyph, it loads, then I select "New resource file" from the menu and it crashes" or similar.

I tested the new Hieroglyph and TNT Basic on an iMac running OS 8.6 - 10.1.5 without problems, so I'm very curious what is going on here.

Thanks for your patience,

Mark

08-21-2002 23:45

Posted by:
Matthew

Click Here to Email Matthew   Find more posts by Matthew

I can open my projects in Hieroglyph, run them in any mode and work them, but I can't upload add new resources to my games. As for the files, I discovered had many files of each kind whit numbers 2 or 3 after their name. Wich one sould I send???

08-23-2002 08:17

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Just delete all the log files, then re run Hieroglyph and TNT Basic to get it to write new ones.

You get multiple copies when you run multiple copies of TNT Basic or Hieroglyph at the same time. It does no harm.

Why can't you add new resources? Is the menu item disabled or does it crash or something else? Check the file is not write protected ('locked' in the finder) or on a read only disk.

Thanks,

Mark

08-23-2002 13:15

Posted by:
Matthew

No, I'm sure the files are OK.

Oh yeah, I discovered TNT did not show the pop-up window asking for a name and ID, it just asks for a file. Could it crash because the ID is wrong or something?

I also opened my latest game in TNT 1.1. It was horrible! Tiles were not drawn or considered, and graphics were distorted ( for Photoshop users :It looked like if many High SHEAR had been applied to the background.

Thats very mysterious.I'll send you the files once I'll have generated only ONE.

08-23-2002 15:53

Posted by:
ERaZer

Find more posts by ERaZer

My tiles also get distorted(and probably in the same way, it sounds like that anyway), and first I tought it was a memory problem so I upped the memory(in OS 9) but that didn't work...

08-23-2002 22:51

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Hmmm...

I suspect this could be related to experimental fixes included in TNT Basic 1.1 for the flickering sprites bug that some users have had occuring.

Do either of you have virtual memory enabled or ram doubler installed. Is it any different if you turn these off?

I will look into this now, let me know as much about your setups as possible.

Thanks for your patience, I hope to get this sorted soon,

Mark

08-23-2002 23:32

Posted by:
Matthew

I do have virtual memory, but I didn't try turning it off. I'll try to do so and tell you soon.

08-28-2002 22:20

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Name and ID dialog

Oh, and the reason it no longer asks for the name and id is it now lets you select the file(s) first. This allows you to select as many files as you want and the ids are auto allocated and the names taken from the file names.

I'll look into the crashes.

Thanks,

Mark

08-28-2002 23:34

Posted by:
eLL

Click Here to Email eLL   Find more posts by eLL

Good Feature

That was a great feature to add, how about hosting the PDF file that the BasicallyReal WebMaster's building.

or can i build one gigantic HTML file, do you think it'll print right?

09-01-2002 14:05

Posted by:
Matthew

So mark, did you find anything?

09-02-2002 23:04

Posted by:
Mark Tully

What version of QuickTime are you guys running?

Import works absolutely fine on all my test systems back to OS 8.6 running QuickTime 4.0.

What versions are you running, is it registered?

Thanks,

Mark

09-03-2002 21:42

Posted by:
Mathew

Find more posts by Mathew

Mine is not registered.

09-03-2002 22:21

Posted by:
Mathew

Find more posts by Mathew

I've been trying TNT 1.1 these times and found many other bugs. I post them there because it is possible that they are caused by the same thing and it might help you fixing it.

Note: I only tried them graphics hardware mode.

1- color masks not always working. I don't know when they work and when they don't, but grayscale masks always seem to work.

2-set sprite transparency doesn't work at all.

3-set sprite color doesn't seem to show the good color. In most cases, the sprite turns black.

4-make color doesn't generate the same color generated in old versions. GREEN gives a leaf-green drak green. RED gives a wine-colored red. WHITE gives a sky-like blue.

5- Take screenshot doesn't work at all.

Thanks again. I really hope there uis way to sort this out.

09-04-2002 07:26

Posted by:
CubeFusion

Find more posts by CubeFusion

I'm having the exact same problems as Mathew here.

It seems that whenever you use the prebuilt colors such as red, blue, or yellow, etc. The colors are darkened heavily. I also experiance MAJOR slowdown whenever drawing operations are being performed. Pasting Images from resources don't seem to be effected, neither are sprites from what I can tell.

This only seems to effect hardware mode though.

I hadn't encountered the flickery sprites bug before upgrading to Mac OS 10.2. But I sure as heck am now. I decided to check out the idevgames.com forums to see if any other developers were encountering this problem. And it seems many apps are seeing this bug too, not just TNT Basic. I heard that it was related to a change Apple made to OpenGL, but I could be wrong on that.

The flickery sprites bug disappears when booted into OS 9 or 10.1. However, hardware mode does not seem to work correctly on any of my 4 iMacs (150 mhz, 350 mhz, 400 mhz, 500 mhz).

Here are my system stats.

TNT Basic: Unregisterd (I'm going to be registering in a couple days if all goes as planned)
Computer: iMac 500 mhz G3
Operating System: Mac OS 10.2
Graphics Card: Rage 128
Total Memory: 256 MB

09-04-2002 09:12

Posted by:
CubeFusion

Find more posts by CubeFusion

Argh. I really wish I had the ability to edit my posts... Oh well.

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted above. The bugs that I detailed in my above post are what I am experiencing, however I am not getting crashes when importing files. Neither am I getting crashes when taking snapshots.

The only errors I am getting are related to drawing operations (and color management) in hardware mode. And the flickery sprites in 10.2.

I'll try to not suck when submitting bug reports next time ;)