< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-01-2002 21:07

Posted by:
Charles Robinson

Click Here to Email Charles Robinson   Find more posts by Charles Robinson

I've been toying with v1.0.3.
The new MOAN system is excellent, and I haven't tried the new viewport scrolling technique, but it seems to be easier and more efficient.
I'd like to see some kind of text sprite creation in the next update. We get to specify the font, pixel size,and colour, and TNT generates the sprites for us. In the Bang On example, there are some very nice bouncing letters, but it must have taken a while to import all those pictures - especially without drag and dropping a whole folder. Some kind of built in approach for this would be ideal for things like titles, ammo count read-outs and info displays.
Keep up that good work.

;) Charles

05-02-2002 19:10

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Text sprites

Hi Charles,

Text sprites seem like a good idea at first, but you quickly realise that displaying your ammo count in a plain font doesn't look as good as you want it to!

I think the best fonts come from fonts drawn in art packages, where you can anti-alias and drop shadow them etc. I suppose the real issue in this case is making TNT Basic better at importing and managing these fonts.

I think that perhaps the ability to load up an image bank as a font and then have commands like:

text sprite x,y,"my string"

And the like. I'm going to improve sprite importing in the next version of TNT Basic, so hopefully importing lots of images will become less painful!

Thanks

Mark

05-03-2002 17:05

Posted by:
Charles Robinson

Click Here to Email Charles Robinson   Find more posts by Charles Robinson

Text Sprites

I think that perhaps the ability to load up an image bank as a font and then have commands like:

text sprite x,y,"my string"

That sounds good to me ;)

Charles