TNTbasic 1.03 or 2.x?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-18-2002 08:31

Posted by:
David Martinez

Click Here to Email David Martinez   Find more posts by David Martinez

Which are the next new features from TNTbasic?
Only minor chages or "truly" BIG changes?

Thanks!

04-18-2002 15:01

Posted by:
Heiko Hartmann

Click Here to Email Heiko Hartmann   Find more posts by Heiko Hartmann

Maybe you will get an answer :-)

My personal wishlist for a 1.03 update:

- Usage of externally generated textfiles. I need them as configuration files. The workaround with generating the textfile from a TNT Basic program is not very effective.

- Real functions. I mean the following with this:
ret = RealFunction()
I really would like to get the return code directly from the function call.

My personal wishlist for a version 2.0:

- Runtime libraries on Windows. Write my program on a Mac and let it run on Billy Boys OS.

- Syntax check build into the editor. Whenever I hit RETURN the current line of code will be checked for syntax errors.

Of course there are more, but these I really would like to see. :-)

Ciao, Heiko.

04-18-2002 19:47

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

New stuff

Hi guys,

Well although we haven't exactly met Heiko's wish list (yet) we will get there eventually :)

I'm quite keen to get better file support into TNT Basic, because we've had a lot of requests on that now. Maybe next version.

As for functions, that will take a bit longer. It's in progress though, mainly theory at the moment....

Syntax checking per line is interesting - but it would mean syntax checking the entire program up to that point (for example so we can tell if variables have been declared). This is complicated if the program is not in a parsable state (eg missing 'end if's etc). I'm not convinced this is doable, but am happy to be told otherwise!

Thanks - keep the suggestions coming!

Mark

04-19-2002 07:58

Posted by:
Heiko Hartmann

Hi!

Yes, I've seen the list of the new 1.03 features and regarding my wishlist I think I have to wait for 1.04. :-)
On the other hand, some of the new features (like the tile map) sound very interesting to me.

Regarding syntax checking: I thought about a more simpler check:
- Check if command is known to TNT Basic.
- Check if all mandatory parameters are given.
This means it is mainly a check for typos.

I don't think you should check for variable names, because it's often the case that you are going to add the variable declaration after you have entered a line of code using the variable (I'm sure you know this situation: You have a new idea and start typing your code in - after that you check for declarations).

Ciao, Heiko.

04-19-2002 19:29

Posted by:
David Martinez

Click Here to Email David Martinez   Find more posts by David Martinez

More suggestions?...

Hi!...

Yes!...the runtime libraries for Windows are very interesting...

For other side...the tiles are very interesting again, but...multi layers with hexagons and find paths for make strategic games will be again other good idea?

...and 3D worlds...ohhh, yeah!

Bye! :)

04-19-2002 20:24

Posted by:
the_crazy_one

Find more posts by the_crazy_one

no! no! please, no windows! they have enough fun game creation systems already. us apple people really need something to gloat about.

how about sprite rotation? or is that already in, and i haven't noticed yet?

04-20-2002 09:22

Posted by:
Heiko Hartmann

Hi!

Crazy_one:
Think about this: Someone makes games for Windows and they also run on the Mac. Wouldn't that be great? Also (I must admit - shame on me! :-) I have friends which only have a Windows PC.

I have checked the tile map scrolling now and unfortunately I cannot use it in my game. The reason: Right now it does not support map objects (only plain tiles). I also would like to add map objects to the map during runtime - which is also not possible. Well, I have to do it myself...

One other note: I also played around with File I/O and I realize now that you cannot manipulate (open, create etc.) files in the 'local' directory (that is the directory where the game is in). Another possible candidate for the next update?

Ciao, Heiko.

04-20-2002 20:00

Posted by:
William F. Hostman

Click Here to Email William F. Hostman   Find more posts by William F. Hostman

Wish List for 1.04 & 2.0

Things I really would like for 1.04 (since 1.03 is out)

-> in-line proceedures (call them functions, maybe?) that can be used in the right side of an equation.
-> inkey &/or get commands (compatability)
-> Better docs on file commands (Include "File Write fileid,13" puts a return in. And what type Fileid is; I guessed int, and it worked).
-> colorization of names of defined proceedures

for 2.0:
-> support for standard dialog box operation, especially for text input/output
-> support for libraries; both use and create. I've a number of bits I'm reusing heavily; I'd rather have them in a library than in my main code. I'm not talking shared library files, but actually "included files" ala c/c++ #include name.c type stuff. And I'd rather not have to do so in c...
-> print functionality

08-22-2002 11:03

Posted by:
Warfex

Click Here to Email Warfex   Find more posts by Warfex

Darkbasic Features

Hi,

me is a "switcher"....
I will switch from pc to mac in the near future.
So i was looking for tools i would miss.
TNT seems to be real cool stuff, but look for the
features of Darkbasic Pro (http://www.darkbasicpro.com)
This is a tool i actually use (beta)
Would be nice, if developing of tnt would be inspired by this real cool tool.

Bye

Warfex

08-22-2002 13:32

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Dark Basic

Dark Basic does look very good but I've never actually used it.

Obviously we'll steal as many good features as we can from our rivals but if you have a particular feature that you would like us to add then just suggest it on these forums and we'll do our best.

Thanks for your interest,
John

08-23-2002 17:06

Posted by:
eLL

Click Here to Email eLL   Find more posts by eLL

Apple Standard interface objects

here's a good heiost for you gents over at TNT.

How about standard interface objects, like tabs, sliders,buttons etc.

I at first thought it was out of TNT's league, considering companies like REalBasic have it. But then i remembered the now defunct serf. which was quite reminiscent of RealBasic 2.0 without all the bugs and using an Apple script derived language

08-23-2002 18:49

Posted by:
Lone GunMan

Find more posts by Lone GunMan

Any chance of a good blitter?

TNT Basic has speed up my game a great deal, it is wonderful. If I had a wish, I would like to blitter for faster scrolling. Access of outside lib.?

08-24-2002 20:12

Posted by:
Warfex

Click Here to Email Warfex   Find more posts by Warfex

Custom User Interface

how about ui-methods, to create transparent controls, windows, etc with a user defined theme style.

So it would be easy to create games like rr-Tycoon or
other games that needs a user interface.

08-27-2002 22:25

Posted by:
Mark Tully

User Interface

I like the idea of doing an 'in-game' user interface, the sort that you'd use for railroad tycoon, warcraft or the sims etc. It wouldn't use any Mac gui stuff, but would be similar to TNT Basic's buttons implementation currently, except you'd probably lay it out visually in Hieroglyph.

That's an idea I've had kicking about in my head for a while but haven't done anything about yet... what do you think?

Mark

08-28-2002 23:30

Posted by:
eLL

Are you kidding me??

I thought you could build an interface already.

Like for instance is there a way to define the Play area or layer
and have controls/counters where play elements couldn't enter, but still have the map scroll inside of the play area.

Ifyou still don't know what i'm talking about think about all the old games like Sonic/Vectorman,Mario especially which has that black strip at the bottom for management. I also wanted to over lay a static object above the play area and use it as an interface basically lay a frame ontop of the action.

I was already shocked/pleased to see the features TNT was missing but recently added in. Since you guys are so quick at fixing TNT, how about adding in an interface layer
other wise i can't build my rpg's with it (*-^)

08-29-2002 22:41

Posted by:
Mark Tully

'Interface Layer'

Well you can do this already. You set up a viewport from one canvas containing your game (for example canvas 1) to the main canvas (canvas 0) and just put the viewport where you want.

Then draw the interface around the viewport in canvas 0, use TNT Basic's buttons or whatever. Sprites drawn in canvas 1 will be clipped in the viewport and will not interfere with the interface. Any sprites drawn in canvas 0 will be drawn across the entire lot (eg the mouse pointer).

Hope this helps!

Mark

10-03-2002 15:29

Posted by:
GreySnake59

Click Here to Email GreySnake59   Find more posts by GreySnake59

NO!!!

I don't think TNT Basic should be made for PC.

TNT Basic has already brought great games to Mac and it gets people that use PC to want to use mac for some of these great games.

10-03-2002 20:54

Posted by:
eLL

I'd hate to see it happen as well...

yeah sucks to windows RunTime, or at least don't port the IDE over to Windows...
crossCompatibility(of compiled games)= good ; crossCompatibility(of TNT BASIC)= sucks to it.

10-04-2002 09:02

Posted by:
GreySnake59

Click Here to Email GreySnake59   Find more posts by GreySnake59

Yes...but.

if they crossed platformed the compiled games I would like a choice if my game runs in Windows or not.